Monday, June 29, 2009

Eight Months: My Letter to Tiny Man

So I'm officially in trouble. The day before you turned eight-months old, you began to crawl. Even worse, you began to pull up.

Seriously, dude, how about you focus on some milestones that will let you sit still for long periods of time, like stamp collecting or the art of miming (you are half French, you know). Because you know what this means, right? This means that I will never be able to blink again, because when I do, you'll be halfway across the house trying to set the walls on fire.




At least you're not a quiet child, there's always that, you keep this continuous monologue going of "Ada? Ada?" Which I think roughly translates to "Is there anything in the vincinity that needs destroying?"

We no longer need a shredder, because we've got you now. And you can shred an entire newspaper in approximately 8.9 seconds. It's a pretty awesome skill to witness, actually.



Here's a riddle for you. What do you and puppies have in common? Answer: They both want to go for car rides. all. the. time. and will whine if they're not taken out at least twice a day.

I'm still working from home with you two days a week, but those days are now broken up with trips to the grocery store or the pharmacies to snatch extra couponing deals, just because it gives us somewhere to go without spending a lot of money.

I've now reached the same status with you as the Jonas Brothers have with tween girls. I can't walk into a room without my ear drum getting shattered by your squeals of delight. It's painful as hell, but it also makes me think I might be the most loved person ever. And some day, you'll yell at me that you hate me, and I'll simply close your eyes and remember those squeals of joy as your face practically broke from smiling so hard.



You're my squishy monkey and my snuggle bear. You never want to be held, and yet, regularly, when I pick you up into my arms, you'll rest your head against my chest or on my shoulder and the whole world stops during that split ssecond, where I inhale the smell of you and desperately try to memorize the feel of your baby hair against my face. And just like that, you're off again, and it's all I can do to keep up with you as you squeal as you crawl away.

I've begun selling the infant stuff you've outgrown and literally every offer I've received has broken has broken my heart a little more. The fact that I'm slowly accepting the fact that with you, our family is complete, makes your every milestone bittersweet. As I cheer each one of your milestones, my heart weeps knowing that this is the last time one of my children will roll over for the first time, or smile or laugh. All of these milestones remind me how blessed I am to have two healthy boys, and yet, you can expect the soundtrack of your first steps to be the sound of my sobs as I watch the last baby piece of you evaporate before my eyes.



My time with you is so precious and on a timer that flashes through my head as I realize that in 18 years, my home will be empty of the laughs of children and 18 years just seems like too short of a time to get my fill of baby head smelling.



I love you my Tiny Man,

Maman.

11 comments:

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

You really make good looking kids.

Btw, in the second pic, it looks like he's holding a snifter of brandy!!

Cheers!!

Hallie
http://www.firstgiving.com/hallietwomey

the planet of janet said...

gawd, he is adorable.

and you may need a new blog name for him soon. i dont think tiny man is going to work for long!! :-)

Nina Diane said...

awww...such a sweet letter. And the pic with the sunglasses....totally rocks!!

Susan said...

You are truly loved. I squeal with joy each time I read your blog.

Kellie said...

He is beautiful!! I can't get over how much he's grown and that he's 8 freakin' months old already! The HELL!?

:)

squishytushy said...

Once upon a time I, too, thought 18 years was a short time. No longer.

I am now planning Emma's bat mitzvah. And J? He's planning something called a Confirmation.

(I'm confirming it... they're Jewish!)

Poltzie said...

Yay, happy 8 months to your little man!

Karen - Mommy to four sweeties said...

He is just so cute and chubby!

Burgh Baby said...

How the eff did he get to be eight months old already? GAH!

Mary said...

Hey there! I'm a first time reader to your blog. I found you through google reader and come to find out a few of the blogs I read regularly are on your blogroll.

This was a beautiful post! Your baby is ADORABLE! I found myself shaking my head yes to everything you wrote because my second child is now 4 months old and he just might be my last. Everything has been sooooo bitter sweet!

Loukia said...

Okay. You HAVE to stop making me cry when I am at WORK! Seriously, I loved this post. It's so sad, how fast they grow up! Why do they do that! They are so sweet and round and smell so yummy and fresh and beautiful and it's true, when they look at you with that big smile all you feel is LOVE. Best feeling ever. He is SOOOOOOOOO GORGEOUS. Of course you know that. I especially LOVE the picture of him with the sunglasses!