Saturday, May 02, 2009

Forty-Four Months: My Letter to Little Man

So I am so beyond late with this newsletter that I'm guessing I'm out of excuses. But in my defense, the last two weeks have included complete madness at work, the death of our cat, a diagnosis of diabetes for our dog and a family emergency. Oh, also? You and I have been very busy couponing.

You're just about as obsessed as I am. You know which stores have the best carts, you can now read the names of all of our favorite stores whenever we pass another location, and you even bring papers in the car, because you can't leave the house without your own coupons, now can you?

You've said so many funny things this month, that it's been hard to keep track of them. Like after you took a sip of V-8 Fusion juice for the first time: "I like this juice, it smells just like donuts."



If V-8 Fusion needs a new spokesperson, I'm thinking you could make them gazillionaires with that tagline.

The other day, I walked into the bathroom to wipe your behind and I caught you wiping the floor with toilet paper.

"Little Man, what are you doing?

- Poop fell out of my butt onto the floor."

Of course.



After getting your first taste of cookie dough: "I like the mushy cookies. We should have these for breakfast."

Does this mean I don't have to buy frozen waffles anymore?

When I told you we were going to have lunch at Chick-Fil-A:

"How come? Do you have a coupon for Chick-Fil-A?"

Shockingly? I didn't. But I appreciate the fact that you assumed I must.



I always let you sleep in my bed when your dad's out of town. On one Saturday night when he was gone, I told you that it was time to go to sleep.

"Are you coming to bed too, Mama?

- Not right now, I've got a little more work to do.

- If you want, you can use your computer next to me, but don't wake me up, ok?"



You started Tae Kwon Do this past month and you love it more than just about anything else. I never know how you're going to react to these things, but you took to that class like a fish to water. In fact, you take it so seriously that the teacher has mentioned to your father numerous times how smart you are. And you are. But you're not only smart, you are one of those strange creatures that refuses to act like a normal three-year old. Goofing off? Unheard of! While your friends purposely fall down or focus their attention on other things, you stand their, in front of your instructor, alert, ready to act on any of her commands, a look of concentration on your face the entire time, because perfection is what you expect of yourself.



I taught you how to play Tic Tac Toe this month and you are now striving to become world champion in the sport. Any paper and pen you find is an opportunity to practice your new skills. You liked Tic Tac Toe so much, that I've now bought you your first Uno game and you've obsessively played with me hand after hand after hand. I can't wait until you're old enough to learn the intricacies of a great Backgammon game. I foresee many nights of you and I slumped over boardgames, laughing as we try to destroy each other.



You're the best big brother I've ever met. No one can make Tiny Man laugh harder than you and the look of adoration he bestows on you takes my breath away. It reminds me of how my own baby sister used to look at me so many years ago. I was not a good big sister, and her and I took many years to heal many years of pain. I want to say we're finally there now, but so many years were wasted on misunderstandings and pain and hurt feelings. I hope you and your brother don't experience this, and I'll make sure that I do everything I can to grow the budding friendship between the two of you.



I love you, my Little Man,

Maman.

10 comments:

Susan said...

Is he holding a cigarette in that taekwondo picture?

Lovely, Catwoman, just lovely!!

susan said...

*hug* So sorry about your loss & hard times.
*love* Love your boys - too cute!

Email me with where Little Man goes to Tae Kwon Do - Katie needs more Little Man interaction (if I can talk cheapo hubby into signing her up)!!

Miss ya! Email us for the mno.

Emma in Canada said...

Ah, so sweet!

Saoirse says "Boy, does he ever like watermelon!"

I have yet to teach Saoirse tic tac toe...probably because I will never be able to find another unwritten on piece of paper again if I do...but she plays a mean game of Go Fish.

Haphazardkat said...

I don't know if its his new haircut or what...but dang! He looks SO much older now!!
Both kids? Seriously adorable.

Haphazardkat said...

Oh..and? The huge squinty eyes shut bite of the watermelon shot is priceless...PRICELESS!!!

Loukia said...

I have been missing you! This of course is a beautiful letter to your absolutely gorgeous little man! He's way too cute. You have a lot to be proud of!

Do you actually stay home alone with your two boys when your husband is out of town? Please email me on how you do that. You are supermom. My husband so much as goes for a coffee and leaves me alone with my two boys and I freak out!

Beautiful letter, mama! ;)

Burgh Baby said...

It's too bad I don't get to sleep with you every time your husband goes out of town because that would be hawt. ;-)

Karen - Mommy to four sweeties said...

That was so sweet. The "couponing" is cracking me up.

jempress said...

wait - when did little man grow up?!?! i'm so sad, he looks so big now!

Anglophile Football Fanatic said...

I love that my kiddo is mentioned as the one who purposely falls down...