Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Three Months: My Letter to Tiny Man

I don't know how babies typically celebrate their three-month birthday, but you decided to mark the occasion by peeing on your head. Are you reading this mortified right now? Really? That's funny, because this morning, when it happened, you thought it was the funniest thing you'd ever done. Here you were, laying on the couch, I had taken off your wet diaper when your brother said something to me and distracted me for a split second. Suddenly, there was this gushing sound, and when I whipped my head back to you, there you were, a puddle of urine in your belly button, and half of your head soaked on one side. And that signature grin of yours lighting up your face. And for the record? Most people wait until their 21st birthday to end up with some kind of bodily fluid in their hair.



It's official. You are the happiest baby I have ever met. This past month, you've taken smiling to a whole new level. All I have to do is look at you, and your whole face explodes in the world's greatest smile. It literally turns me into teeny tiny puddles, the way your eyes crinkle, the way your tongue peers out from your gums slightly, the way you bring your fist to your face, like you want to make sure your face hasn't fallen off from all that smiling.



You are my ball of sunshine, my monkey, my goofy boy, my lovable baby. You have completed our family in ways that I couldn't even imagine when I was pregnant with you. You make me want to have a million more babies, just so the world can be populated with the joy that you radiate.

Last week, you started day care. My heart was heavy as I dropped you off, even though I knew you were too young to know the difference. When I picked you up that afternoon, you were asleep and when I lifted you up, you woke up and your whole face lit up when you recognized me, like you were saying "holy crap! I remember you! Where you been? D'you go to the bathroom or something? I sure am glad to see you again."



A part of me is always amazed when I feel your eyes on me. Because I know that the second my eyes lock with yours, your whole face will light up. I don't think I've ever had that effect on someone else before. And I'll be honest with you, it scares the shit out of me. Even know I feel I'm more comfortable with you than I was with Little Man, I still grapple with the guilt of not being a good enough mother to both of you. You're both such perfect little creatures and you love me so much that I want to make sure that I'm always worthy of that love.

Have I mentioned your cheeks yet? Those cheeks that could hold a few pounds of nuts each and are covered in the softest skin. Those cheeks that I regularly try to fit entirely in my mouth because they just beg to be eaten. Those cheeks define your entire face, and yet I know that as you grow up, they will slowly disappear, erasing all signs of babyhood from your sweet face. And I can assure you right now, that I will miss grabbing those cheeks with both hands and smooching them against my face. Already, I feel like time is getting away from us, that soon, you'll be whining that you're 16 years old and too old for me to carry in an infant carrier.



You've finally decided that your brother is pretty cool. This is a good thing, because trust me, as a big sister, I can assure you that the fastest way to get older siblings to like you is by sucking up. Now, when Little Man sings you songs, you stare at him in complete awe, until your face breaks into one of your signature smiles and you let out this baby gasp that never ceases to make your brother laugh. I hope the two of you will forever be friends. It took me a long time for me to become friends with my sisters, and I just hope the journey will be a smoother one for the two of you.



This past week, you've been all about the milestones. On Saturday the 17th, you laughed for the first time, which might be one of the greatest laughs of all times. It's hearty, it's goofy and the sound of it makes me laugh so hard, that I end up in tears every time I have laugh offs with you. Then yesterday, you decided to celebrate the inauguration of our first African-American President, which is an incredible historical event that both you and your brother are too young to understand, by rolling over from your tummy to your back.



I'm assuming this means you were a Republican who finally saw the light and rolled over to the good side. Yes, that dig is in this letter just to drive your father nuts. Some day, you'll understand that we are a very divided house politically. Only because your father refuses to grow a heart, which makes him a Republican by default.

I'm typing this as you sleep in my lap, content, sighing, not a care in the world. For you I wish that you can sleep this contentedly no matter how old or how big you might get. Also? I wish you'd keep those fantastic back fat rolls. Because surely they'll be as cute when you're 30, right?



I love you, my Tiny Man,

Maman.

15 comments:

A's Mom said...

Absolutely adorable! I sure hope you are backing these entries up somewhere. Love the shots the new camera has captured!

Kellie said...

The back rolls are delicious!! He's so beautiful and sounds like an amazing baby.

New camera? Do share the details of this new baby. :)

Nina Diane said...

So good to see a post.....and sounds like everyone is doing well. He is just precious and looks a lot like little man. And new camera? huh? no post on that...tell, tell.....

the planet of janet said...

those back rolls are the yummiest thing i have seen ... evah!

dont stay away so long, sweetie!

Rachel said...

I looked at the pic before I read that last paragraph and was like "oooooooo, look at the back rolls, yummy"!

I can't believe he's already 3 months old. Time is flying!

justmylife said...

I love back rolls on a baby. He is the cutest baby in the world. It is hard to believe he is 3 months old now.

Kila said...

Oh my, I think I'm in love, too :) So precious.

Three months already, wow!

I do remember the belly buttons full of pee, LOL.

Susan said...

Beautiful and funny post! You're very fortunate,Tiny Man. You're very blessed, Catwoman. But you knew that.

Loukia said...

What a beautiful post... you have a way with words... your boys are precious.. I feel the same way as you... so blessed with my two darling boys and I want a million more, too! I just have to work on my husband.... ;)

That Chick Over There said...

He is totally fab.

jempress said...

he is just perfect!! and your jab at your husband? totally cracked me up

Burgh Baby said...

You need to stop trying to make me want another one. STOP IT.

He's gorgeous.

Julie said...

awww, he looks a lot like little man in the second to last picture. you're raising some good looking little boys! : )

A Frugal Friend said...

I just found your blog on blogher...I was intrigued by your title. I am a fellow Texan.

I just read the post and had to laugh....I have a 1 1/2 year old and it took me back and made me smile and laugh. Too cute....love the pictures.

Stefanie said...

He is sooooo ridiculously sweet! I can't get over how cute and delicious he is. I want to eat those cheeks too. You are a very lucky woman.

Now hire yourself a little evening help! You need sleep.