Sunday, November 23, 2008

This Marks The Day He Officially Knows More Than Me

Little Man's school had a festival on Friday where each class performed. Last week, I asked Little Man if he was learning a song for the performance and he looked at me funny and said "what are you talking about?" Yup, he's turning into his father.

The other night, while I was tucking him in, Little Man suddenly started rattling off presidents "George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison." I knew that his class had been studying presidents. When I came back downstairs, I told Sweetie Pie that Little Man had been rattling off presidents' names and I thought he might have been saying them in order. I then asked Sweetie Pie "was Zachary Taylor a president? Because he's one of the people Little Man mentioned." Sweetie Pie thought for a minute and said "He might have been, yeah." I'd like to remind everyone here that I'm Canadian, so I have every excuse in the book not to know this crap, but my beloved is born and raised here, but was too busy fighting his Baptist heritage and drinking to learn this stuff.

On Friday, all of the other classes come out and perform cutesy Thanksgiving songs about turkeys suffering a horrible death in the name of a national holiday. Then comes Little Man's class, and apparently, his class is where all the smart kids were recruited, because instead of learning a song, they spent the past few weeks being brainwashed and the audience is told as his class takes their place that they will be reciting all 43 presidents of the United States.

And they begin "George Washington... John Adams... Thomas Jefferson... James Madison..." And so forth. Around the 10th President, Little Man gives up and begins just opening and closing his mouth, like he's still actively participating in this activity. By the 24th or so President, he begins to yawn a lot, as if he's really, really bored by this whole mess. But he did come back strong and joined in for the "AND BARACK OBAMA!"

The video is terrible and includes me cursing under my breath because Little Man's very large teacher keeps coming to squat right in front of him, so I have to keep trying to move, when I have Tiny Man strapped to my chest and the chairs are close together.

So I decided instead to reenact this at home with Little Man. Which he promptly refused to do. So I figured I'd pull up the presidents on the computer and see if we could do it that way. I'd like to point out that although he didn't name as many as he knows, he can name any president if you give him the first name, sometimes even the first syllable. And the kid is only three years old and two months old.

Two things I need to point out:

- When in doubt Abraham Lincoln is Little Man's go-to dude. Followed, very strangely, by Van Buren.

- I had to stop the video sooner and skipped right to the "And Barack Obama" part, since Tiny Man started flipping out. Which confused poor Little Man.


The Presidents of the United States from Catwoman InTexas on Vimeo.

I suspect girls aren't going to want him just for his surfer boy good looks.

Love,

Catwoman.

12 comments:

Kellie said...

Good looks and smart. That kid will have it made as he gets older ;)

Morgan said...

Wow! That's great! :)

the planet of janet said...

he's obviously brilliant.

Emma in Canada said...

He puts my girls to shame. I don't think they could name even the current Canadian PM. Of course, I do consider Stephen Harper to be a dirty word and would rather hear Sophie use the word fuck over his name.

K said...

Wow, He is sooo cute and very good with his remembering!! Well done little man! xx

Julie said...

Dang, half of those I haven't heard of/remembered.

Susan said...

What a joy that kid is.

Bren said...

I just adore the way he says both Abraham and Van Buren! He is too cute!

A's Mom said...

Too funny! Zachary Taylor... that sounds like a great baby name....

Sandi said...

He is one smart dude!!

Marmarbug said...

DANG! That is impressive! I need my kid to go to that school!!!!
I know the presidents in order to this day but I learned when I was like 9! Go LITTLE MAN!

sesi said...

thnks