Thursday, November 20, 2008

One Month: My Letter to Tiny Man

So I guess I never said this officially here, but welcome to the world, my Tiny Man. Exactly one month ago, you were kicked out of my tummy and you came out screaming and pissed off. And I'm not sure you've gotten over it yet, because although you don't cry very much (which, please keep doing that, ok?), you do look pissed. all. the. time. You spend your days glaring at me, at your brother, at the dogs. Anything that comes within your one-foot radius. This makes your brother and I laugh a lot, which only leads you to glare more. I can't help but think that behind those serious, angry blue eyes of yours, your brain is plotting evil schemes to take over the world.



You decided to celebrate your one-month birthday by sleeping more than five hours straight. Do you know how much I think that's the best birthday present ever? I mean, I can't really complain, you only wake up once or twice a night already, but five hours instead of three to four? Well, I feel like the luckiest Mama in the world, that's how I feel.

And you know what? I am the luckiest Mama in the world. You're freaking adorable, first of all, even if you are sporting a combover worthy of Donald Trump this week as you wait for your permanent hair to come in. But also? You hardly ever cry, reserving your tearless screams for important times like when you're clearly starving to death and I'm taking a whole 30 seconds to pour my milk into a bottle for you. Damn me and my lack of superhero lightning fast moving. Why were you cursed with a human mother? Because life is freaking unfair, Tiny Man. Even more unfair than the fact that I can only move at a human pace? The fact that you'll be forced to watch whatever your brother likes until you are capable of making a compelling argument. And right now? That big brother of yours is obsessed with a horrendous show named Imagination Movers, about four men who live in some warehouse with a horribly designed puppet named Warehouse Mouse. And for that, I apologize.



You're a snuggler. Oh, how you love to snuggle. If you had it your way, you'd happily let me hold you all day. This morning, we had an event at your brother's school, so I put you in your Bjorn baby carrier for the first time and you slept there, against my chest the entire time, happier than a pig in mud. When I first put you in it, you woke up slightly and whined, but when you realized that this contraption was strapping you to me! Your favorite human! You decided that you would never, ever make another sound, with the hope that I would forget about you and keep you there forever.

And I would hold you forever if you'd let me. You're warm and when you don't smell of spit up, you smell amazingly sweet, the way I think sunshine would smell in heaven. You're amazingly warm, like me and your brother, and I'm always thinking that they need to figure out how to convert our heat into usable energy, because seriously? The three of us could power a fleet of cars.



I'm so glad you're here, my Tiny Man. During the past month, it feels like you've already doubled in size. In fact, you are already outgrowing your 0-3 months onesies, a feat that I never thought any child that I grew in my womb would accomplish by the one-month mark. This leads me to think that all those croissants I've been consuming are the reason you're growing so well. You know what this means, right? I get to eat more croissants. And for that? I thank you again.

Also? I thank you for making me smile. I thank you for letting me kiss you excessively. I thank you for that little round-mouthed look of disapproval you give me when I put you down to make dinner. I thank you for being my munchkin, my little monkey, my pooper, my love. Never did I ever suspect that I could be all-consumed by a little 7-pound lump. But I am. I adore you the way I adore your brother. All of my worries and concerns evaporated the moment you were born. Here you were, this little stranger, but the second I saw you, I knew that I loved you more than anything else in the world. Just like I do with your brother. I can't imagine life without you, and I'm thankful every day that I don't have to.



I love you, my Tiny Man,

Mama.

9 comments:

Kat said...

Such a beautiful letter for such a beautiful boy. :)

the planet of janet said...

lucky mommy. lucky baby.

beautiful.

Nina Diane said...

well catwoman.....you made another beautiful baby!

Kellie said...

Man, that baby is SWEEEET!! Makes me wanna jump a plane to TX and spend a day snuggling with him and trying to convince Little Man that Imagination Movers were relocated to Spain. Or some crap. I HATE that show!

Emma in Canada said...

Well, catwoman, Tiny Man's first monthly letter is as worthy as the ones that were written to the former Baby Boy.

Once a month, now twice I guess, I know I am guaranteed to tear up on a visit to your blog.

K said...

One word: G O U R G E O U S xx

Rachel said...

I love that picture of him sleeping!!!! he is so handsome.

CPA Mom said...

"the way I think sunshine would smell in heaven" - how exactly right you are!! Wow, that is really perfect.

eda said...

thnks