Saturday, October 18, 2008

Language Barrier

Ever since moving to the bigger kids' class in early September, Little Man has taken to talking in a baby voice at times. We're guessing this is his way of regressing, that he's hoping that people will go "oh, this kid talks like a baby, he must belong in the smaller class", letting him be moved back with his old teacher who he was totally infatuated with.

This baby talk has driven Sweetie Pie and I bonkers, and we've done everything from ignoring it, to threatening him, to dunk his head in the toilet. We actually haven't tried to last tactic, we're saving it for other behaviors that will drive us nuts, like when he decides he wants to be a white rapper.

This morning, we went to the local monthly market, where people sell all sorts of crap and puppy mills are out in mass trying to convince people that buying a six-week old puppy for $300 that sits miserably in a cage with chicken wire on the bottom is a great idea. I'm now stepping off the soap box.

Anyway, Little Man got tired of walking around and asked to be picked up, so Sweetie Pie carried him on his shoulders for a few minutes, until Little Man spotted a stand with all sorts of toddler-appealing junk in it and demanded to be put down.

Little Man: "Abajo!"

Sweetie Pie: "Little Man, I swear to you, I'm not going to tolerate this baby talk any longer, use real words."

Me: "Uhm, he said 'abajo.' That's Spanish for down. You just yelled at your son for using his Spanish correctly."

Little Man, looking at me: "Can I get abajo now?"

The look in his eyes said "dude, why the hell would you keep procreating with this man who doesn't even know the Spanish word for down?"

Love,

Catwoman.

15 comments:

Texan Mama @ Who Put Me In Charge said...

That's hilarious. I don't know any spanish so I'd be sunk.

So, did you tell him, "Si. Abajo."?

anglophilefootballfanatic.com said...

Oh, Sweetie Pie. He is a native. How does he not know abajo? Ready??

Burgh Baby said...

Heh. My step MIL is convinced that we have taught Alexis to cuss in sign. She doesn't realize that if I'm teaching my kid fun words, I'm doing it in Spanish.

Kellie said...

That's great :)

the planet of janet said...

awesome.

it's always nice to have a "secret" language.

Haphazardkat said...

LOL!! This is why we parents have grey hair!!!! One must accept defeat...our kids will be forever quicker than us.

Bren said...

How funny! My little guy was watching Dora in the car the other day and kept kicking the back of my seat. When I told him to stop, he said he was jumping over the giant watermelons. The he pointed out that I was just smashed by one since i didn't jump. So for the rest of that scene, I was "forced" to jump in my seat while driving.

Marmarbug said...

LMAO! sounds like something my hubby would do. Men.

Julie said...

I'm such an idiot I though abajo was up!

Susan said...

"like when he decides to be a white rapper..." I'm dying laughing here!

Eternal Sunshine said...

That is hilarious! My husband is very intent on making sure our youngest speaks correctly, so he would probably pull this stunt...

Funny...

Rachel said...

Hilarious! It's fun when our kids make our spouses looks stooopid!!

HM said...

Good luck tomorrow. Can't wait to see pics of the baby!

Heidi said...

hahahahhaha! I have nothing clever to say, but hahahahah. I love that story, sounds so much like my household.

Rachel said...

Hope all is going well today!!!