Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Complete Love

So I did it. Yesterday, Sweetie Pie drove me to the hospital, we walked in as a family of three and now, I sit here just two doors from the nursery that contains my new man. He's gorgeous and perfect and the most incredible newborn there ever was. And I know you might think I'm biased here, just a little bit, but I swear to you, if you could meet this kid, you too would think to yourself "man, these newborns are pretty freaking cool."

I guess things are different this time. I mean, first of all, I didn't get sick like I did with my first pregnancy, we successfully kept the HELLP Syndrome at bay, which makes me feel like a freaking superhero, because that bitch of a HELLP Syndrome is mean and evil and hard to avoid once you've had it before.

But Tiny Man and I did. We avoided it, and I got to be awake during my c-section, even though I was so tired from being up since 3 in the morning from the excitement, that I almost fell asleep a couple of times. Yes, only I would find a c-section relaxing...

Tiny Man came out pissed off and had no issues telling the nurses that he did not appreciate being ripped out of his warm and comfy womb without being asked.

And then the rest of the day just rolled on by, choreographed so perfectly that my only issue was that I couldn't connect to the Internet from my room, and so had to take a quickie picture with my iPhone to send to my folks and to the fantastic
AFF who was awesome and posted for me yesterday so that you guys would know the news quickly.

So what is there to say about this little guy?



He's literally the best baby that was ever born. You guys know me, you know how much I love Little Man. I'm sure that the fact that I know what I'm doing as a mother helps this time, but this kid? Freaking does everything by himself. I swear, right now, he just went downstairs to have a cigarette, and he didn't even ask for my help in figuring out the lighter's childproofing.

I've talked about my breastfeeding issues with Little Man. He and I were a disaster together. We tried, oh how we tried, but he didn't know how to latch, and I wasn't producing and he and I would end in tears every two hours and despite hours spent with many lactation consultants, I was forced to pump and bottle feed and after 8 weeks, I dried up and that was the end of that miserable experience. And I was fine with it, because I had tried, and that was all I could do.

This time, I was ready to try again and I hoped I'd be successful, but I wasn't going to beat myself up if I wasn't.

When it came time to feed Tiny Man for the first time, I demanded the presence of a lactation consultant, after all, I had no clue what I was doing, really. But my new son, he scoffed at me, called me ridiculous and latched himself on, no effort, like a marine who'd been fighting battles for years.

So even though I continue to fumble and worry that I'm not holding him in the right position, my Tiny Man doesn't care. "Just get me near that boob, lady," he tells me. "And I'll take care of business."

He makes me look good. He makes me feel like I'm Angelina Jolie and like I'm a natural at this and should be on the cover of W Magazine. He makes me feel like I can take on the world, that I can do anything. He makes me want to work even harder at being the best mother I can be.

He's got my fingernails, his dad's chin and hair so straight, it looks like we've been electrocuting him for entertainment in between feedings. His eyes are so dark blue, that we thought they were brown originally. He's got a double chin, thighs that demand to be devoured whole and toes the length of fingers.

He's enraptured all of us, and now, 40 minutes shy of his one-day birthday, I can barely remember life before him.

Little Man came to visit us yesterday afternoon and the staff had given us great advice on handling the introduction. Little Man got to go fetch his baby brother from the nursery and push him down the hall to our room, after visiting with me alone for a while.

Little Man declared his brother was small and pretty cute. He then agreed that we should keep him. When Tiny Man began to cry, Little Man petted his head and told him not to cry, that everything would be ok. He then offered him his new Matchbox tractor. I know it won't always go that well, but for a first visit, I couldn't have imagined it going any better.







Today, I sit in a hospital bed, but it might as well be cloud nine, because life? It's pretty freaking awesome. And this little guy?



Gets to come home with us in a few days. If that doesn't make me the luckiest woman in the world, than I don't know what does.

Love,

Catwoman.

37 comments:

Shal said...

CONGRATS!!!!!! AW Tiny Man is SOOOOOO CUTE!!! Little Man and Tiny Man are adorable together! Very happy for you!

Congrats to you and your new family of 4!

That Chick Over There said...

Congratulations!

CPA Mom said...

Oh "Cat", he IS the cutest and smartest baby EVER!!! I'm literally in tears over his pics!! I wish I was there!! I'd make you the best dinner just to bribe you to hold him!!

Still can't believe you had tilapia for a hospital meal!

Burgh Baby said...

On the way to work this morning, I was thinking of you and how I loved how you managed to be totally and completely not dramatic about the whole birthin' process this time around. I'm impressed.

Congratulations!

wherewiller said...

Woman, you just made my cry at my desk. Damn you and your beautiful words!!

Julie said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! He is adorable and I'm so glad everything went smoothly for you.

But I have to ask, does Tiny Man have a real name? Last we heard he was nameless! : )

Anglophile Football Fanatic said...

You rock on birthing and bfeeding. I also did notice you managed to put how he had your nails in there first. Silly, lady. I'll be by to see you and the man later on!

Karen - Mommy to four sweeties said...

Ohh he is so beautiful!!!
Congratulations.
Little man is going to be the best big brother. I know you are so proud.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

You made me fell all warm and fuzzy!

He is gorgeous!!

Hallie

the planet of janet said...

the second photo of little and tiny is too precious for words.

hope tiny man has a name by now.

and you DO make beautiful children.

congrats!!!!

Jodie said...

That was the best post ever! Yay to the new guy...how freakin' cute is he?!?

Congrats!

pam said...

How in the world have you not eaten him whole?

CassJustCurious said...

Tiny Man sounds so perfect and he's cute as can be. Congratulations!

Haphazardkat said...

He's gorgeous, Catwoman :) And the last pic of Little Man holding his brother with his arms all protective underneath? Brought tears to my eyes.
Dammit, woman! You've made me cry at work again!!
Congrats. Serious congrats.
You have a beautiful family. :)

Kat

Rachel said...

His is just adorable!! I am so happy for you and so glad that this time everything has gone so smoothly for you. My ovaries are incredibly jealous. Incredibly. Congratulations again. You are a lucky woman.

Poltzie said...

Oh he is wicked cute!! Congrats a million times over!!

Marmarbug said...

CONGRATS GIRL! He is SOoo cute! Awwwww.
Thank goodness on the HELLP thing, Scary scarp that was.
I want a little baby now.

Susan said...

Congratulations! I am so very happy for you and you have a gawjus family. Well done, you!

~Denise~ said...

Congrats!!! He's beautiful!

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said...

Aw, congratulations to you!!!

He *is* the most relaxed and cool looking newborn I've ever seen! That first pic, he's just laying there like, "I'll just lay here all nekkid and cute while you snap my picture, kay?"

And the brother pics - priceless! They made me all teary, remembering when my #2 was first hatched. Ahhh...

ccr in MA said...

Oh, congratulations! After your descriptions of his talents, I think in that last picture he's reaching for the camera. "Here, let's see what I can do with that."

A's Mom said...

So happy to hear that things are working out wonderfully for you. What a beautiful baby boy! Congrats!

Kathryn said...

WAaahhhhh!
I am seriously bawling here. Oh the love!!!!

What an absolutely perfect post of love and adoration. I can just feel the gooey love vibes. I am so happy for you.

You have such an amazingly beautiful family. That little sweet pea is gorgeous! I love that pic of him naked in the warmer. Love it! What a perfect little angel!
Congratulations!!!!

Laurie said...

Congrats on your wonderful new little boy! So glad to hear your delivery went well and what adorable pics you've shared!

Emma in Canada said...

I wish I had a newborn naked picture while lying on the tummy because that is cutest one ever. And, just like I said on facebook I am very jea,lous of you and your 2 boys. I may have to ask what position worked for you when I decide I am going to try for one more.

Katie said...

Congratulations!!!!!!! I'm sooo excited for you! He is GORGEOUS! Your post nearly brought me to tears! I just found out this week I'm having my second baby boy, too! I'm 5 months along. I can't wait to have him in my arms, it feels like forever away!

Texan Mama @ Who Put Me In Charge said...

WHOA so exciting!!!! You will love having two. It is an adjustment at first, but in the very best way.

Okay, here it comes.... unsolicited advice....

Let yourself be a great mom. Who cares about dinner? have a pizza. Who cares about laundry? Wash 'n dry it, then leave it in the basket. People will find what they need. You just go take care of little Tiny Man and fall in love. Don't worry about the housework and stuff. It will still be there next week, next month. next year.

K said...

How cute is he! And the pictures of you're 2 main little boys is the CUTEST!! How very proud you both must be!!! More pictures please, and tell me you chose my baby name i mentioned please please!!!

Carli xx

Bren said...

He is so perfect and precious! Congrats to you and your family!

Anita Doberman said...

Congratulations! He is really soooo cute!

squishytushy said...

A perfect newborn AND an IPhone??? I'm so jealous.

Allison Says said...

Congrats!

He's absolutely amazing.

Little Man and Tiny Man's first encounter? Perfect. How sweet that he would pet his head and offer Tiny Man a car!

How wonderful that you are feeling so great. Especially after a c-section! After mine I was a wreck for about two days, and then it took me a long time to recover after that!

Congrats again :) I hope you are enjoying your new family!

David said...

Healthiest and happiest congratulations from Sandi, Captain Stinky, Babies H & M and me to you, Tiny Man, Little Man and Sweetie Pie.

justmylife said...

Two such cutie pies! I am so jealous. All my kids were different when it came to feeding. The first bottle only, no interest in anything else. The second, bottle but could have been encouraged to breastfeed. The last, breastfeed only and once she started she wouldn't stop!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your second beautiful boy. or should i say handsome? lol
Penney
Ontario, Canada

abritdifferent said...

Isn't it amazing the second time around? My second boy (I only have two, that sounded like I had a troop) was the same way, took to breastfeeding easily and was a very easy baby and pregnancy. You'll also find you are MUCH more relaxed with this whole motherhood caper the second time around too.

You are a trooper for getting online again so soon. Wishing a speedy recovery to you!

Roxy Wishum said...

Congratulations! Clearly, he IS the most incredible newborn ever. You are my kind of mom to be posting so soon WITH pictures. What a great brother to offer his tractor. He is a better man than me.