Saturday, August 16, 2008

And I'm Back...

So first? I have to say that those of you who read me and have kids who are just over a year apart? You guys are either completely insane or the toughest beeyotches ever. Because having had an almost two-year old and an almost three year-old in my house for only a week, I don't know how you guys do it day in, day out.

Don't get me wrong, Little Man had fun with his cousin. The proof is here.


Falling Down is Hilarious from Catwoman InTexas on Vimeo.

But when they weren't having the best time together, they were spending the other 90 percent of their time fighting over the same toy or crying because the other one had committed some horrible toddler crime. My niece is returning to Canada with a very expanded English vocabulary, which includes "mine," "get away," "she touched me," and "she being mean."

Of course, when I dropped off Little Man at his school yesterday before driving my mom and niece to the airport, he begged me to let his cousin come to school with him. When I told him she couldn't, he freaked out and had to be physically dragged into the school crying and kicking, all while screaming his cousin's name, which just broke my heart. Last night, he kept asking for her and his grandmother, and it made me feel sad for him. Sad that she doesn't live closer, because they really do get along pretty well.

But right now, as I'm sitting here at almost 7 a.m. and can enjoy the silence, I can say that as much as I miss everyone, it's so nice to enjoy quiet again.

Oh, I'm sorry, did your head spin because I wrote that I missed everyone? Yes. I wrote it. Maybe it's the pregancy hormones. Maybe this is an improvement in my relationship with my mother. I don't know what it is, and I'm sure the trolls who previously wrote that I must be the problem are snickering, but this visit was actually fine. Seriously.

The only real incident, besides the sink one I posted about earlier in the week was when my mother answered the phone on the first ring during nap time without looking at who was calling on the call display and tossed me the phone. Which I HATE. There's a reason I won't give up call display, I must know if I want to talk to you before I answer (Yes, I'm talking about you, US Bank and your call-in offers of credit cards). And I got annoyed with her and she got pissy.

Other than that, it was surprisingly smooth sailing thanks to two toddlers and The Young & The Restless and backgammon games during naps. Oh, and the Olympics in the evening, so that Sweetie Pie and my choices of television entertainment couldn't be criticized like they normally are. Maybe it was just lightning in a bottle that all these factors combined to keep the fuel from the flame. Or maybe there has been growth on both sides, I don't know.

Either way, I'm happy it went well.

For Christmas, everyone's coming down, since Tiny Man will just be turning two months old, and I'm not traveling by plane during flu season with an infant who will have only had one round of shots. If he was just a month older, I'd be ok with it. So the parents are coming. My sister and my niece is coming. My crazy sister (you know, the Finding Nemo one) is also coming. Both my 87-year old grandfather and 82-year old grandmother (one maternal, one paternal, and they can't stand each other) and my Godmother are coming. If you can count that high, it means we have 8 people coming for Christmas. Five of them will be staying at our house. Not everyone will be here for the full 10 days (only my parents and crazy sister are staying that long, bring on the vodka), but there will be an overlap of six days where our house is filled with 11 people, two dogs and a cat.

And right now, I'm actually looking forward to it. Yes, you can mock me endlessly on December 29th for having said this on August 16th.

Love,

Catwoman.

17 comments:

AndreAnna said...

Start stockpiling the booze now and give it to the grandparents who hate each other.

Guaranteed hilarity will ensue.

Susan said...

SO glad you're back and glad the visit went well. My kids are 21 months apart and 16 months apart. This is why I drink. Missed you!

the planet of janet said...

commence drinking NOW.

my minivan is faster than yours said...

Just as I was starting to type this my daughter interrupted me to say her brother pushed her. They're less than 11 months apart, thus this is the story of my life!!

Ms. Porter said...

I'm glad you are back too.

You are a brave girl for having everyone to your place for Xmas (so soon after having a baby no less), but I completely agree with you about not wanting to travel with the baby so young. You should just sit back and enjoy your babies and let everyone else do the cooking and dishes...and drink lots of eggnog.

Maria said...

Glad you survived. Falling is fun, and might I suggest learning how to sneak liquor in to food and drinks in order to make the holiday a little more tolerable?

Colleen said...

uh, YEAH! falling is hilarious! I laugh at people falling down all the time. And it seems Gavin has that same love because he was cracking up at the video.

Glad things went better with Mom...would hate for it to have gone poorly and then have to put up with it in a few short months. And really? You had trolls who said it must be you? How much you wanna bet they are some Passive Aggressive Queens themselves? so I will be actively aggressive and call them poop-heads.

Bren said...

Y & R, huh? I didn't know you were a junkie too.

That video is hilarious. It really is the simple things.

Marmarbug said...

Yeah you can bet I'll mock you in December! LOL

Glad the visit was painless1 I missed you too!

Burgh Baby said...

You're back! You're back! Woohoo! You're back!

Know how I know the visit made you certifiably insane? You are talking crazy talk about looking forward to another visit. You, my dear, are out of your ever-loving mind.

Julie said...

While I am glad to hear you had a nice visit I was sort of looking forward to some juicy posts on things that went horribly wrong! : )

While that may sound mean I know you know what I mean!

Rachel said...

At least you will be able to drink heavily then.

anglophilefootballfanatic.com said...

I'll be willing to drive to Anna to procure alcohol come Dec 25th when you are cursing yourself for saying you didn't think it would be bad.

Next Tuesday? Dinner?

Slick said...

As much work as I bet that was, their laughs were just too funny!

Beautiful kiddos!

Joy T. said...

Ohhh so when I say I had three children in under three years that makes me a tough beeyotch? Or insane. Ok never mind. Glad to have you back. That video is priceless!

squishytushy said...

At least your fueding elders are on opposite sides. Mine are/were ex-spouses. At my wedding. Seated at different tables, but THEY COULD STILL SEE EACH OTHER.

Use your imagination...

Thanks God for booze!

CPA Mom said...

falling down WITH HATS is hilarious indeed. Two cutie pies!

I'm so glad your mom behaved and all went well.

I get mad at my husband when he does the same thing with the phone. Because I hate the phone.