Friday, July 04, 2008

A Sign of Maturity

A local grocery store is having a scratch off contest, where you receive a scratch off card every time you make a purchase. If you don't win the first time, you have the chance to enter a code on the Website and be entered to win $50,000.

I scratched off my card, lost, and threw it out without giving it a second thought.

Until the other morning. Where I began daydreaming about what I would do with $50,000.

And this is where I realized just how much I have grown up. Because only a few years ago, I probably would have dreamed of a Burberry purse and Manolo Blahnik shoes and other things.

But as I laid there daydreaming of that $50,000, I found myself putting a bunch of it aside to pay the taxes on the win. And then maxing out Sweetie Pie and my contributions for the year to our Roth IRA retirement accounts.

Then I paid off our vehicles. And used a chunk to deposit in the Little Man and Tiny Man's college funds.

Then I made a decent payment to our mortgage, figuring it would help shorten the length of time of our mortgage.

And then all that was left with that imaginary dough was enough money to pay for the distressed hardwood floors I've been coveting.

That's it. That is my one "fun" purchase with an imaginary 50,000 dollars won.

Hardwood floors.

It's no wonder freaking AARP (the association of retired persons)sent me a freaking membership card last week.

I am officially old.

Love,

Catwoman.

19 comments:

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

You're not really old...just seasoned.

Hallie :)

AndreAnna said...

I got a settlement check from a car accident for about the same amount of money - and I did exactly that. I paid off my car, put some aside, paid off some credit card bills and got a new kitchen tile floor.

We're not old - just preparing for when we are. :)

Jordan said...

Oooh, hardwood floors... They sound lovely.

I was worrying about this the other day, when I found myself saying: "I know, but watering the garden is just so *therapeutic*!" It's like, Thanks, GRANDMA. Let me know if you find a solution.

the planet of janet said...

ooooh hardwood floors!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lynsey said...

I realized I was old when I started asking for things like kitchen appliances and vacuums for Christmas and my birthday. Ha!

mcas said...

i feel like i am already starting to do that, and im just in university. the future is looking good haha. good luck working towards those floors!

beach mama said...

Yeah, I've had those thoughts too. We are doing construction upstairs and all I can think of is hardwood floors! LOL!

I don't think we are old... yet ...wait until all the next wave of electronics comes out and we have no clue what they are or how to use them and our kids can do it themselves. Like computers were to our grandparents...and cell phones, and iPods, and CDs and DVDs, and satelite radio...oh hell, what can possible be NEXT!?!?! Hold me, I'm scared.

Colleen said...

welcome to the club!

anglophilefootballfanatic.com said...

See, I didn't even know that is what the online code was for...better pull the one from this morning out of the trash.

Morgan said...

Hardwood floors! :) I don't blame you, and you aren't old. :)

Karen said...

I've been dreaming of paying off debt and such for years now.

But distressed hardwood floors are truly the stuff of dreams.

Kellie said...

Nah, not old. The shoes and purse would be fun, but with the money you'd save from paying off cars? You could buy the shoes and the purse whenever.

Hardwood. How I love thee.

Tranny Head said...

Mmmm . . . paying off debt . . . *drools*

If only I could pay off my STUPID STUDENT LOANS!!!!! Alas, I'd need a lot more than $50,000 to do that.

Hear Their Everywear said...

Man, you so can make a $$ stretch! LOL

I would do the exact same things, flooring and all!

squishytushy said...

$50K huh - I'm thinking your math is off! No way could you do all that with $50K!

Julie said...

Just keep your dog's nails long and let them run around on your hardwood - you'll have those distressed floors you've been wanting for nothing! : )

Slick said...

Daaang, hopefully you'll have enough leftover to purchase a large sized bottle of Geritol tablets!

That Chick Over There said...

I spent an humiliatingly long time thinking about washing machines the other day.

Burgh Baby's Mom said...

We are in the midst of new house hunting and I have realized that my list of priorities is appalling. I need nice countertops in the kitchen, a yard big enough for a play ground thingy, and a laundry room that is not in the basement or kitchen. *sigh* We can enjoy our AARP discounts together.