Monday, June 09, 2008

It's All in the Enunciation

For the past few months, after reading a book or two to Little Man at bedtime, Sweetie Pie started the tradition of telling Little Man a story in the dark. Usually, the story teller asks Little Man what the story should be about, and his answer has been anything from "A story about the little red train with yellow stripes on it," to "Spiderman."

Last week, Sweetie Pie was putting Little Man to bed while I was watching the first part of the Top Chef finale (which OMG! Lisa made it through, what the???). Sweetie Pie came down and told me how Little Man ordered him to lay down in his toddler bed, because he wanted to tell his father a story.

The next night, I was putting Little Man down, and again, he decided that he was going to be the story teller that night. As I laid down in his toddler bed, he asked me what kind of story I wanted. I told him that I would like to hear Elmo learns his ABC's, a story that Little Man has asked for many times and that Sweetie Pie have expanded on and added twists and turns to over the past months so that we wouldn't try to rip our own cerebellums out.

Little Man launched into a rousing version of the story, one that included Elmo singing the ABC song. And as he gets halfway through the song, Little Man pauses and says "and then Elmo crapped, crapped, crapped."

My brow furrows and I go "wait, what did Elmo do?"

- Elmo sing and then he crap, crap, crap.

- Uhm, where did you learn that word?"

Little Man looks at me and sighs, like he is so freaking tired of having to dumb everything down for his old mother.

"You know, he crap, crap, crap!" And as he says it for the third time, he begins to emphatically clap his hands.

I muffle giggles into his pillow.

"OH! You mean he clapped!

- Yeah, that's what I say."

Uhm, no. If he had, I wouldn't have interrupted the story and missed out on finding out whether Elmo ever got to the letter Z.

Love,

Catwoman.

18 comments:

Kellie said...

I can always count on a Little Man story to make me laugh. Which now makes me cough thanks to this lovely cold/allergy thing I'm rockin'.

:)

Julie said...

I was thinking Sweetie Pie had changed up the story dramatically to keep himself sane!

the planet of janet said...

that. is. hysterical.

does he mispronounce truck too? ;-)

Melody said...

Oh my - that is too sweet!!

My oldest mispronounced truck. He would say Fruck, frain, fractor, frampoline...

My littlest sounds like he's saying something awfule when he says bench or bridge.

Burgh Baby's Mom said...

I have got to start paying more attention to the Toddler. She says "clap, clap, clap" all the time in songs instead of actually clapping, but I have never listened to hear if she's saying it correctly. I'd bet anything she's pronouncing it "crap" as well. If so, our kids can crap together! Yay!

justmylife said...

That was so cute. Thanks for the laugh I was needing this afternoon.

A's Mom said...

Oh that's too cute!

Sandy said...

If you have never heard it, you must go to Ree's (www.thepioneerwoman.com) and find the link to her little one asking for a juice box. OMG!

anglophilefootballfanatic.com said...

My hubby is still doing his impersonation of Little Man's penguin pee pee dance. And, crap, that kid is funny!

AndreAnna said...

Am I a terrible mother because my kid saying "crap, crap, crap" probably wouldn't phase me?

I figure as long as she doesn't say the f-word, I still have a leg up. LOL

Marmarbug said...

LMAO! That is so funny. Do you think elmo does crap?

beach mama said...

SO funny!!!
My Kid used to have a thing with "F" and "R" so FARMER came out HOMO. I have no idea why but it was the funniest thing ever. We used to tell him to call everyone farmer's. So bad, I know.

And my Hubby does the same story in the dark thing (ok, the similarities are getting creepy). But somehow all the stories are about how a tractor trailer (usually Mac from Cars) get stolen and they have to use LoJack to find them. Yes, Hubby is a cop, so all stories are very cop related. My Kid is probably the only kid under the driving age that knows what LoJack is.

Susan@stopcallingmethat said...

That's hysterical! My youngest used to tell me at a certain point in the road, in a very excited voice, that he was, "afraid of Baby Jesus!!" After a few puzzling months we realized he was really afraid of "Chucky Cheese's." No lie, kid, me too. Think Elmo's is orange and fuzzy?

monster's momma said...

lol!!!

Bren said...

Hysterical! And very cute!

When Big Sis was that age, "chocolate" sounded like "f**k it." We're demented though so we'd always find ways to have her say "chocolate."

Rachel said...

So apparently LM is learning his speaking skills from a Chinese immigrant.

That Chick Over There said...

My kids would have just said crap. So would I, sadly.

Word!

Colleen said...

Hey, Gavin kept saying "crap" the other day, too. He had a bit of a problem wiping the other day and when he got changed for bed, I saw the racing stripes in his undies. I reminded him again that he needs to wipe and pointed at the offending stain. He then went into a long tirade about how "we don't poop in our pants and we have to wipe because otherwise there will be poop and crap. and more crap. crap in the underwear." I was so stunned I just looked at him and said, "yes, we need to wipe." Then I looked at his father and mouthed "did he say 'crap'?" And when Gavin couldn't hear me, I laughed my butt off.