Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Minus Five Months: My Letter to New Baby

In some ways, it feels like I've been pregnant with you forever at this point, like I've talked about it ad nauseum, to the point that I'm sure everyone reading my blog is just sick of the whole thing. Yet, in many other ways, there are days where you'll move and all of a sudden I think "holy crap! That's right! I'm pregnant!" Or like yesterday, when someone at work asked me if I was hoping for a boy or a girl, and the question confused me so much because I wasn't sure what they were talking about for a second.

And then I realize that you won't be here for another five months and I think "thank goodness, I don't have any of the onesies washed." And then in the same breath, I think "will this baby ever get here so I can meet it?"

This week, you're about the size of an avocado. I'm not sure if Babycenter.com will still be around when you are are old to have a baby, but I tell you that if it is, you will never look at produce again the same way, when a Website tells you every week that your baby is a grape, a lime, an apple, and so forth. The week you were the size of a lime, I made guacamole and when I had to squeeze the juice out of the lime, I actually felt horrible for a second, like I was juicing you myself.

I have avocados waiting to be turned into guacamole as we speak (have I told you that I love guacamole yet?), but the idea of sticking an avocado in the food processor and pulsing it into a puree is just too disturbing for me to deal with this week, knowing that you are currently the size of an avocado.

Last night, I had a very vivid dream, where my doctor wanted me to have a sonogram at my next visit. The ultrasound technician said that he could tell what sex you are, but your dad wasn't with me, so I wasn't sure if I wanted to find out. Finally, curiosity got the best of me, so I told the technician to just tell me. He said you were a boy.

This is the first real inkling I've gotten this entire pregnancy of what you might be. With your brother, I really had no clue, because I was always convinced that I'd have girls, since I'm one of three girls, and my mother is too. And at no time was there a sign that he was a boy.

So this is my first sign. Is it true? Are you a boy? I guess all will be revealed on June 18th, when I really do have my ultrasound, which, just so you know, your father will be attending too, because he's looking forward to meeting you as well, just as much as I am, even if it's through a television screen.

You're still a complete mystery to me, little one. I know that soon enough, all will be revealed, and I will get to see your face for the first time, hold you and smell your newborn smell.

Have I mentioned that I can't wait?

Love,

Maman.

15 comments:

Burgh Baby's Mom said...

I could swear it was just yesterday that you were proclaiming yourself knocked up, and yet here you are, already to the avocado stage. Time is flying by much too quickly.

jempress said...

we'll never get sck of your excitement about baby #2! and just fyi, i had 3 VERY vivid dreams that Baby E was a girl - obviously, my dreams were wrong.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

The avocado in the food processor visual is now going to give me nightmares.

ARE YOU HAPPY?

Hallie

Joy T. said...

This is so sweet!!!

Sam said...

OMG I haven't been here in soooooo long and you are pregnant *woot* Congratulations xoxo :D

Emma in Canada said...

I'd never get sick of pregnancy tales. I think you are having a girl. That is my expert opinion, never having met you and all.

But the big question is...on June 18th are you going to blog and tell us? I have shopping to do, you know.

justmylife said...

I remember my first sonogram and I took my VCR tape and wanted to show everyone the new littlest one and when I got home, I found out that their VCR was broke and I didn't have a tape to show, I was so upset. I was pregnant, I got upset over commercials.

In case I haven't said it, Congrats on the little one on the way!

Haphazardkat said...

Dang, girl...if ever a woman was made to be a Mom--you are IT.
Your love for your children is a palpable thing. It reaches out and grabs your readers by the soul strings.

Becca said...

MMM, newborn baby smell...and that soft skin!!!

beautyishere.net said...

Awwwww. Great, now I'll never look at produce the same way either. :)

Kellie said...

Tired of reading about it?! As IF!! If I was tired of it, would I supply you with your Dorito crack?! Speaking of....need more? How's your stash?

Rachel said...

Dude, your blog can kiss my ass!! I typed a comment, did the word verification crap and it still wouldn't post it!! GAH!

But, what I had said was that your dreams are wrong! It's a girl.

Kathryn said...

Yep. I want another baby now.
That was so sweet!

Karen said...

Enjoy that avacado stage because the watermelon one comes all too quickly.

floridagirlinsydney said...

You are so right about that Babycenter fruit stuff-- though I never thought about it while I was cooking-- I'm sure I will now, oh man.