Tuesday, April 08, 2008

It's What We Parents Call Leverage

So I'm a very, very bad person.

I've talked before that Little Man is pretty easy to get along with, but I think one reason for that is that I pick my battles with him.

Like for example, he can't go to school wearing his overnight diaper and pajamas. But he can go to school wearing shorts with brown socks pulled up to his knees with his brown shoes, so that he looks like a very short 90-year old man.

He can't have coffee for breakfast. But he can drag a couple of toys from his toy box and leave them in my car, so that my Jeep Liberty now looks like a homeless child lives in the back seat.

But today? Today, AFF's son is having his birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese's. So this morning, I told Little Man that today was SD's birthday party. "birthday party? Can I go?" I then told him that there would be cake there. "Yucky cake?" he asked, because for the last few days, this has been his question to every food item I offer, like if I have been in the habit for the past 31 months to offer him disgusting items like moldy cheese or rotten bananas. I assured him that the cake would be really yummy.

He then decided that yes, this party would be fun and that he was willing to attend and eat the yummy cake.

Which is good, considering I RSVP'd weeks ago and we bought a gift and all.

But because I am evil incarnate, I decided to use the party for everything this morning.

So when Little Man told me he wanted to watch more Mickey Mouse Club House instead of leaving for school, I told him "but we have to go to school! So you can go to SD's party afterwards!"

The kid practically jumped in the SUV and buckled himself up.

Then, when I pulled out his sandals and he told me that he wanted to wear his brown shoes instead, I told him "Oh, but SD said you should wear your sandals to his birthday party."

Which Little Man quickly decided that well, if the birthday boy decided this, then he must obey.

There's a special place in hell for me, isn't there?

Also, what are the odds I can convince AFF to throw a birthday every two weeks for me to use as leverage? I'm thinking I could teach the kid to vaccuum with this kind of ammo.

Love,

Catwoman.

20 comments:

Kellie said...

If there was a party and the promise of cake looking on the horizon, I'd wear sandals with brown socks and an overnight diaper if you asked me to!!

:)

namaste said...

haven't we all done this? i know i have. when my daughter was four i threatened to hide her favorite video tape all the time.

;)

maria

Julie said...

Oh honey, this is just the beginning! I've been using our upcoming trip to FL as ammunition with Abby for WEEKS now.

anglophilefootballfanatic said...

I'll continue to have parties if you start to pay for them! And, oh, Lordy the drama over here. The paci was "mailed" to the paci fairy. EGADS. Kid told me he didn't even want a party if he could stay two.

anglophilefootballfanatic said...

Oh, and if you need me to? I'll totally serve yucky cake.

Sandy said...

You guys crack me up! I think a little bribery never hurt - and the lengths to which AFF is willing to go in order to help you? Awesome!

Kathy said...

This is a daily occurrence in out household...whatever works right!?!

Joy T. said...

No hell. No one goes to hell for trying to keep a little peace. Well that's what I've been telling myself all these years anyway. Have fun at the party!

Kathryn said...

Whatever works. A bit of peace is needed every once in a while, no?

Nina Diane said...

I already have a condo in hell reserved so you can stay with me

Loukia said...

Oh don't feel bad... we all do this sort of thing, I can't tell you how many times! It is impossible lately to get my toddler out of the house in the mornings, and now that the weather is nicer, it's impossible getting him in the car to go anywhere...

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Just take the kid to Chuckie Cheese every two weeks and tell him it's one BIG ASS birthday celebration.

He'll be cleaning AND giving you a pedicure before you know it!!

Bribery is good. I'll bring tht brownies to our weekly meet and greet in Hell!

Hallie

Burgh Baby's Mom said...

I just knew AFF would say she would gladly throw a party every two weeks. After you gave her some pee, I think that's only fair.

CPA Mom said...

Save a spot in hell for me too then 'cause I do the same thing.

With any luck though, Little Man will WANT to vacuum like my 5 year old does. He BEGS to clean. Seriously.

But, you WILL go to hell for telling him Chuck E Cheese cake is yummy because it IS NOT. tehehehehe

squishytushy said...

Ohhh..... you're good!

I so need to learn the art of picking your battles... and then using them to your fullest advantage!

(Oh... you think I'm talking about with my kids?? Oh no... with my HUSBAND.)

BTW, just how far are you from Mobile??

Emma in Canada said...

I totally want to see a pic of Little Man looking like a short 90 year old.

Gerbil said...

All I can say is... WORK it babe!

Mamma Schmoo said...

What was I doing wrong? I had a trip to Disneyland as leverage and still nothing I wanted got done. Is a tone of voice thing? Or maybe just the cake?

M said...

You are the champion my friend. Oh yes. You. rock.

Rachel said...

That special place in hell? My seat was reserved years ago.