Thursday, March 13, 2008

A Recap of the Last Two Days

So I guess I’ll start at the beginning. Which would be the doctor’s appointment. Although, that’s not really the beginning of the story, as the beginning of the story would be that I woke up before the crack of dawn on Tuesday, showered, shaved everything there was to shave, got out of the shower only to realize that I’d managed to forget my right armpit, got back in the shower, shaved right armpit, and got ready.

I’d laid poor Little Man down in track pants and his National Canadian Hockey Team (the capital letters are there to show the respect that anything Canadian and hockey related deserves), so that in the morning I would only have to change his pull-up, put socks on him and throw him in his car seat before he had a chance to realize that all of this was happening at 6:20 a.m.

I managed to get him in his car seat with only a whimper (his, not mine) and when we backed away, his eyes had adjusted enough for him to say “Mama, it’s too dark, it’s too dark, Mama.”

You’re telling me kid.

After I backed out of the garage, it became apparent that I was in trouble. Because of daylight savings time, it was obviously pitch black outside. It was also so foggy, that I couldn’t even see the end of my truck. And I was now having to drive 17 miles in these conditions.

Somehow, miraculously, we pulled up to Little Man’s school at 7:02 a.m., only two minutes behind schedule, but with plenty of time for me to still get to the doctor’s on time, just five minutes away.

Except for one caveat: Little Man’s school, which normally opens at 7 a.m. (or so I hear, we’ve never come that early before) was closed because no one had managed to fight their way through the fog yet.

So we waited and just when I was getting ready to give up and take Little Man to my appointment with me, the principal of the school showed up, I threw my child at her and ran for my life.

At the doctor's appointment, I had hands, that metal contraption from the Middle Ages and an ultrasound wand stuck up my vijayjay.

I should clarify they were not in there at the same time.

What better way to wake up than with that much action first thing in the morning?

The weigh in was terrible, as I realized that I'm starting out this pregnancy 20 pounds heavier than with Little Man.

My doctor warned me that we probably wouldn't be able to see the heartbeat on the monitor, since I'm only six weeks along, and that I shouldn't panic if we don't see her. I promised not to panic, a promise that is easy to make when the person asking you to make it is looking right at your cervix and your feet are up in the air.

The sonogram revealed that my uterus is like this giant abyss, with a tiny little egg sac in it. Even better though, we saw the heartbeat. To say I'm relieved goes without saying.

I get to go back to the doctor's every two weeks until I feel the baby kick, which means that I might as well move into my doctor's office, really.

Otherwise, my trip went well. I snored the whole way there and the whole way back on the plane, which is shocking, because I don't even sleep on red eye flights normally.

I came home last night with some presents for Little Man purchased at the airport from the Disney Store.

When I told him I had a suprise for him, he lit up and said "A prize? I love prizes!"

I didn't bother correcting him, because really, what's the difference?

The first present I pulled out was a Nemo stuffed animal. Considering the Finding Nemo DVD in our house has been played so many times that the last time I was asked to put it on, it bitch slapped me and threw itself into our fireplace to be put out of its misery, I figured Little Man would be so excited to have his own Nemo to add to his sleeping harem.

But my son took one look at that fish and said "Oh. I don't want it."

Luckily, I'd gone nuts and also gotten a four-pack of plastic Mickey character cups and Little Man deemed this present to be worthy of him and carried those four cups, still in their base around everywhere with him that night.

Next time, I might just buy myself some chocolate.

Love,

Catwoman.

18 comments:

AndreAnna said...

I'm so excited you got to see the heartbeat! What a relief!

Did it change your due date?

We have THREE Nemos! She's obsessed!

And you'll probably feel this baby much earlier, so you may only have 8 weeks or so of having to go to your OB every two weeks.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

What am I missing? Why do you go every two weeks this early on? I will happily take that Nemo off your hands. I ADORE that crazy fish!!

Glad your vijayjay survived the attack!

Hallie :)

Burgh Baby's Mom said...

There is really no valid reason to be having a metal object stuck up your vijayjay while it's still dark outside. I don't know whether to blame the doctor's office for really stupid hours or Daylight Saving Time. Or both.

Glad all is well! And, amused that you referred to the sexless blob as "her."

monster's momma said...

yay! yay! yay! I'm so happy to hear heartbeat news. *big happy hugs*

Rachel said...

YAY!! I am so glad you got to see the heartbeat!!! Yipee!!

And, "her"? Hmmm, are we hoping for some pink?

Catwoman said...

How strange that I wrote her, especially when that was supposed to be the word "it" because I was refering to the heartbeat.

That is an interesting slip though...

Even weirder, since I'm convinced that I'm having a boy, since this pregnancy feels exactly the same as the one with Little Man.

Emma in Canada said...

I picked up on the her too, and thought what powers does this doctor have?

Glad all is well!

David said...

Congratulations on the heartbeat...






....and getting all those things in your vajayjay.....not at the same time.

Kellie said...

Her, huh? That'd be sweet--Little Man would make an awesome big brother to his little sister. Or brother. Whatever. SO glad to read things went well...minus having all those things shoved in your hootie before the sun even came up.

:)

Kathryn said...

Yeah for baby's heartbeat! How exciting!

Loukia said...

Hello! As you can tell I have not been online checking out the blogs or updating my own blog lately but OMG I just have to say CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!! Yay for you! Good luck with it all... p.s. I did finally update my blog... xo

Motherhood for Dummies said...

oh it is always fun to hear the heart beat!

CPA Mom said...

Don't you hate that!! I get so excited when I find a toy or book related to my son's current "obsession" and I give it to him and he's all "oh that is SO yesterday" - GAH!!

glad all is well with the baby!!!

Daphne said...

so glad to hear your appt. went well!!!

squishytushy said...

So 'her', huh?

So very happy you got to hear the heartbeat!!!!!!! Stories like that make me miss being pregnant... well, not the metal contraption part. But you know what I mean. At least I hope you do.

squishytushy said...

So 'her', huh?

So very happy you got to hear the heartbeat!!!!!!! Stories like that make me miss being pregnant... well, not the metal contraption part. But you know what I mean. At least I hope you do.

Gerbil said...

yay for healthy strong heartbeats. :) and i have to giggle at Little Man because doesn't it just figure????

anglophilefootballfanatic said...

I'm so glad you liked her. She's a great doctor. And, yes. You knew he'd NOT like the present you got him. Course, our daddy dear bought golf balls at LAX last month...one with a scantily clad woman. Yes. This for my son. Hubby was in big trouble.