Monday, March 24, 2008

Reason #929 to Have Children: The Ego Boosts

Last Thursday was a really, really bad day. It was the kind of day that I haven't had in many years, where my job just left me in a puddle of tears. I spent a good part of this day in my cubicle, silently crying, pulling myself together long enough to drag my sad behind to the bathroom, where I locked myself in a stall and sobbed silently some more.

I ended up in my boss' office, where I fell apart once again when I tried to update him on the situation that had gone terribly awry and by the time I went home, I was emotionally exhausted and still upset.

After picking up Little Man, I called my best friend to vent, because this is the universal way for women to deal with situations. Men have beer and hookers, women call their best friends. The conversation was brief because my friend was in the middle of watching some neighbors kids who were apparently on a mission to tear down the siding of her house, but it was long enough for me to feel at peace again.

When I hung up, Little Man looked me in the eye in the rear view mirror and said "Good job, Mama! Good job talking on the phone!"

My eyes welled up with tears again, and I turned around and said to him "You have no idea how much I needed to hear that today."

==========================================

Yesterday morning, I had already gotten dressed for the Easter church service when I went to wake up Little Man. I was wearing panty hose and a black dress with large white flowers on it and I looked surprisingly good for me and for it being 8 a.m.

I walked into Little Man's room and he audibly gasped.

"You wearing the black, Mama? You have white flowers, Mama?"

I nodded and smiled and said "I do."

"So pretty, Mama!"

Totally makes all those times he used me as his personal kleenex or fed me his half chewed food worth it.

Love,

Catwoman.

15 comments:

Morgan Leigh said...

AW! What a sweetie! How adorable.

Kathryn said...

Aww. The little darling. They sure do know how to pick a mumma up, huh? So sweet.

Burgh Baby's Mom said...

Yup, he's worth keeping around all right.

Julie said...

How sweet of Little Man!

Kellie said...

He? Is a sweetie and then some!!

You? Rock all that you do and it sucks you had a crappy day. I'm sorry :(

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

And just think...you are going to have another one to say nice things to you!

Kids are great...until they become teenagers :)

Hallie

Haphazardkat said...

Rotten days suck. Big time.

I'm totally with you on calling your best girlfriend to feel better. I don't know how I'd survive without mine :)

And your kid...rocks. Definetly an Old Soul :)

Rachel said...

That's a sweet boy you've got there! I'm glad he made you smile that day. Stupid coworkers!

Slick said...

Sounds like I need to take lessons from Little Man.

Hope you have a better week this week.

random_mommy said...

I wish he and Buddha could play together. We may have to make a summer trip to TX.

anglophilefootballfanatic said...

Way to make mommy feel better, buddy!

Bren said...

What a sweetheart!

Sorry you had a sucky day. May this week be better for you.

Snappy said...

Aww.. Kids know exactly what to say, huh? I hope your week is a lot more awesome than last week! You ROCK!

Joy T. said...

Aww bless his little heart! I hope work gets better and there's no more cubicle crying. Man, that sucks to have a job that makes you cry. Even if it's only once in awhile, it just shouldn't be that way.

Sandy said...

So pretty, Mama. Good job!