Tuesday, February 12, 2008

An Important Lesson

I'm sure some wise man somewhere (maybe a fortune cookie?) has said at some point that you shouldn't ask a question if you're not prepared to hear the answer.

Although Little Man's daily reports from school have gone during the last week from "not happy" to "sometimes happy" to "happy", there are still tears in the morning and I wouldn't be surprised if the teachers have nicknamed him "the cry baby."

Last Wednesday, after leaving a screaming Little Man in the gym, I went to drop off his pull ups and coat in his cubby in his classroom. His teacher was there straightening up the classroom and I asked her how Little Man was doing.

She paused, hesitated for a few seconds and finally said "He's a very good eater."

It took every ounce of of my being not to laugh out loud at her political correctness. I'm used to his old daycare, where they sugar coated everything and claimed every child was happy every single day and every child ate absolutely everything every day, which any mother worth her baby weight will tell you is bull.

So at his old day care, Little Man was gorgeous, he was brilliant, he was so smart and his vocabulary was more evolved than any child they'd ever seen before.

At his new school? He's a good eater. They're not going to bullshit me and tell me how smart he is, when he's still figuring out what the hell he's supposed to do.

And I? Like it a lot.

I like knowing when my child's not happy. If anything, when I see on his report that he's been scowling all day, I know that he's just crabby and I can mentally prepare myself for an evening filled with tantrums.

I like knowing when he's been a ball of sunshine all day, because then I know that I'm in for a good fun night, one where I wish I didn't have to put him to bed at 8:30.

And so, my child? He's a really good eater. In fact? He's one of the best eaters she's ever had. Apparently, at school he'll eat anything. He's such a good eater, that she asked me if he gets breakfast at home, because she's been needing to slip him an extra snack in the morning because he seems to be famished.

My son? Might kick the ass of that scrawny little man who wins all those hot dog eating contests.

And we will be oh so proud.

Love,

Catwoman.

17 comments:

Morgan Leigh said...

hahahaha....well, atleast they said something good. Right? If I took my kids they would probably be like "They go home in the afternoon" as the good thing. :)

Haphazardkat said...

he's commensating for his lack of cupcakes!!!

Haphazardkat said...

er...compensating that is!!
dammit, now I need a cupcake!

Kellie said...

I'd much rather be told my kid is a good eater than have a ton of smoke blown up my wazoo.

Get the kid a cupcake!

myminivanisfasterthanyours said...

I think these parents who are constantly told how brilliant their kids are may be the reason moms act the way I describe in my last post!

Obviously all of these other kids aren't geniuses. OURS ARE!!

Burgh Baby's Mom said...

You're making me appreciate my daycare more and more with every post. Mine? Totally tells it like it is. I heard all about how she had a major meltdown because her favorite teacher had somebody else sitting in her lap a few days ago. Like you, I appreciate the truth. It means I get to believe them when they say she's the best kid in the room.

Pat yourself on the back (I can't quite reach that far). You did good by moving him.

Stefanie said...

I like my school a lot too. It's a good secure feeling to know that your child is being treated as an individual and that the teachers know what's going on with them. Also, your son and I have a lot in common. We're both "good eaters!"

Ms. Porter said...

It seems like things are going smoothly, I'm glad. Go little man, way to score the extra snacks.

anglophilefootballfanatic said...

I am in agreement with ya! You need to hear the truth. It means you know the WHOLE story. And, I can so see him as a good eater.

Rachel said...

Gah, can you puh-lease feed that poor child! I mean, really!

Glad to hear they are not bullshittin you!

Sandy said...

All I know is that in our house, lil man is an average eater most of the time. Then, he will eat everything not nailed down. Then, he grows just enough so that all of his pants are too short. Then he goes back to being an average eater. Stand by for the growth spurt!

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Just popping in to say hello. I'm exhausted from a day of Shmoopyness but wanted to say hi.

Have a great night.

Hallie

Squishy Tushy said...

Glad to hear your happy with the new daycare, and well, at least Little Man enjoys the food.

KayFour said...

My youngest child was like that when he was younger. He would go to the neighbor's houses, unbeknownst to me, and beg for food. Yes, I feed him ALOT of food. He was one of those permanently skinny people who was simply hungry all the time.

More than one the HRS people arrived at my front door to ask me if I was neglecting that child. I would show the grocery receipts and they would ask me how many people I was feeding? 10? 12? No, I would reply. Just HIM... pointing an accusing finger.

He is still that way, today, but fortunately the Coast Guard has to feed him and not me.

A's Mom said...

And you should be proud... too funny that everyone says you should get him a cupcake...

So, get the kid a cupcake. Tomorrow's Valentine's Day!

I'm a Mom!..? said...

I agree, tell me the truth any day -- Who wants to walk around delusional?

Blue Momma said...

Little Man and Punkin would soooo get along! For a while they were waiting at the door for me, ready to shove him out and on his way home. The "he's a good eater" was the best comment I ever got!