Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I Am That Mother

There's a stereotype of working moms on television. The working mom is so busy with her job that she often forgets important events in her child's life. She's the one who shows up at the recital almost at the end of it, but just in time to have the child see her in the audience and think that mom cares.

I personally think this stereotype is bull. Of all the working moms I know, I don't know a single one who doesn't make the time for their child and doesn't consider motherhood to be their most important job.

But I've now figured out where the stereotype stemmed from. It's not that working moms forget things, it's just some of us don't read the overly-long school memo all the way through and don't realize that the Valentine's day cards you painstakingly signed with your child's name the weekend before (all 27 of them) were supposed to be brought the day before Valentine's day, along with the shoe box turned into a Valentine's Day mailbox, thanks to my Mommy arts and crafts talents.

I only realized my snafu when I was walking out of Little Man's school and three parents walked in armed with their child's Valentine's Day gear.

That's when I thought a big WTF?

Luckily, being the way I am, I'd left the Valentine's Day memo on my front seat and I quickly scanned it and realized that yeah, things were supposed to be brought in today, those other parents weren't just really eager when it comes to Valentine's Day.

Luckily for me, Little Man's school has a Walmart right across the street from it (something I try not to hold against them), so I raced over there, found this Valentine's Day mail pail for a dollar, raced to the scrapbooking aisle to buy letter stickers to use for Little Man's name so that I wouldn't be forced to use a Sharpie, which would really give me away, and bought 32 more Valentine's Day cards.

I sat in my Jeep Liberty and painstakingly signed 27 more cards, raced back to the school and handed the loot to the front desk, asking them to deliver it to Little Man's class.

So I saved the day. And I didn't show up right at the end, I beat my stupidity fair and square and got the job done in advance.

So why do I still feel so freaking guilty?

Love,

Catwoman.

23 comments:

Jesse said...

You shouldn't feel guilty I mean you did trek over to Wal-mart to make sure he had everything he needed.

Anonymous said...

U might like this article...

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=2969095&page=1

MysteriousFire said...

Wow, I am not looking forward to that part of when she goes to schools. Seems entirely unfair that parents have homework again when it's their kids who are in school. :)

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

I think you should give yourself a gold star for ingenuity!

Who cares WHEN you did them. They got done and you're still a GOOD mommy! Bet Little Man doesn't care one way or another. Wouldn't he just rather have a cupcake?

Hallie :)

Kellie said...

Seriously....it's all good. It's not WHEN you did it, but that you DID do it. You feel guilty because you're a woman and that's what we do when it comes to our kids.

Give the kid a cupcake!

(can you tell I like to end my comment with that lately? Sorry!)

Ms. Porter said...

I stay home full time so you'd think that since my 'only' job is seeing to it that I do everything perfect when it comes to the kids (hahahaha oops, pissed myself laughing at the idea of me doing things perfectly).


Oh and the memos sent home are so frickin long, and there are so many of them...it's no wonder it's so darn impossibe to keep it all straight!

AndreAnna said...

If you actually went into THAT store to rectify your sins, you've paid your penance in my mind.

A's Mom said...

Awww... well atleast you came through for Little Man. Just imagine how he would have felt if you didn't bring him anything... He's a lucky little boy!

Becca said...

I think it's pretty normal. Something like that happened to me in December I dropped Ava at her Parent's Day Out (she only goes once a week) and I noticed that all of the mom's had either gifts or cookies for the teacher. Immediately I about shit on myself...because NOW I am a mother, and I am the one that is supposed to be doing that! Duh..

Burgh Baby's Mom said...

Stop. the. show. It's preschool! Are you telling me that I need to run out and get Valentine's for my kid for preschool? Crap.

anglophilefootballfanatic said...

What are you gonna do with the 27 at home? Does skeletor get one in exchange for a cupcake?

Sandy said...

My daughter bought her lil man's $1 mail pail from WalMart in advance and he still wants to decorate a friggin' box...lol.

random_mommy said...

"That" mom always turns out to be the laid-back cool mom...

You're quickly on the road to having all of his friends stare at your tatas and tell him how lucky he is.

Haphazardkat said...

lmfao @ random_mommy!!

You rock with the on-the-spot-craft-Mom-in-the-friggen-car!!

I can't believe you had to do that for preschool. Good grief!!

Beccy said...

Thank God for Walmart!

Morgan Leigh said...

I commented yesterday, but my comment has been eated? Anyways, I think that you shouldn't feel guilty, but if you do, it's just because you are a mom. Atleast you got the crafts there, I would've been like "Oh, no, what to do?" and freaked out.

Morgan Leigh said...

The crafts? Geez, where is my mind? I meant the Cards, the cards! Geesh.

Blue Momma said...

I love you, Catwoman. I pull the same stunt and I don't even work.

Of course this time I was all on the ball, then Punkin decided to open the goody bags I had so carefully prepared. Grrrrrr.......

Joy T. said...

Guilty?? No way. You deserve a medal! And you have no idea how I laughed at that sharpie comment you made LOL Visions of turning Sharpie into art was floating through my head :o)

Squishy Tushy said...

Oh dear God, you have so no reason to feel guilty. You got the job done... fair & square.

myminivanisfasterthanyours said...

Maybe you should switch Little Man to a Jewish preschool. We received a memo last week about the history of Valentine's Day and why we will not be celebrating it at school, and not to even dress our kids in red.

I dressed Brynn in dark pink.

I'm edgy like that.

Rachel said...

Even if I was a stay-at-home mom, I would still do stuff like that! Because I rush through things because I waited until the last minute to start them!

imbeingheldhostage said...

OMGosh, if you only did this for Valentine's day-- you're a saint. You rock for pulling this one off! I'm a SAHM and I run around trying to save things I have forgotten at least once a week. We have a whiteboard the size of walmart on our wall just to keep track of things.