Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Big Belly Question

So a number of you have commented during the past few days and asked whether I'd be posting belly pictures.

I find this interesting for a number of reasons, because one, really? you really care that much?

So here's my answer: don't hold your breath.

And I have many reasons for that answer, the first one being that I will never look this cute.

Secondly, I don't post pictures of myself, in order to keep some sense of anonymity. Yes, I realize that I post pictures of my son left, right and center, but really, he's just your average blond blue-eyed kid, and there's probably a million of them in Texas alone. I post about poop, doing the deed and other things that my relative anonymity allows me to do. Posting pictures of myself would increase my chances of a coworker at my huge company to say "wait a minute! I know who Catwoman is!" And then my blog would forever be altered. Is that what you all really want?

Thirdly, I only took one belly shot of myself my entire first pregnancy. No, I'm not making that up. I'll say it again, people, I'm not the cute pregnant woman you all imagine me to be. I literally look like I have a beer gut until the 9th month. Never during my entire first pregnancy did strangers inappropriately touch my belly. I took desperate measures, wearing shirts that proclaimed I was pregnant for a while. But then those stories about pregnant women being cut open and their fetuses stolen kept making it on the news and I began considering everyone who looked in my direction to be a potential fetus stealer.

My point is, that I only let Sweetie Pie take a shot of my belly when I actually looked pregnant. And was showered and dressed properly. And the stars aligned for all those things exactly once, exactly two weeks before Little Man entered the world.

Does that make me sound really vain? I hope not, because it's not really a vanity thing, even though, I guess it is at its core, because I hate pictures of myself period.

Do I regret not taking more pictures? Yes, I do. And seeing Andreanna proudly show off her belly and looking irradescent while doing it has made me realize that I too want to have more belly shots taken of me this time.

But I'm afraid they won't get posted, or if I do, my head will be cut off. Let's face it, all you care about seeing is the belly anyway, so that should make everyone happy right?

Maybe I'll even throw in a boobie shot for Slick, so he doesn't drown under the weight of so much estrogen.

Love,

Catwoman.

24 comments:

Morgan Leigh said...

oh!NO! Not fair. But, I guess I'll be okay with belly shots, LOL.

:)

AndreAnna said...

Awww, you're too sweet! If it makes you feel better, I feel nasty most of the days I take my pics - end of a long work day - bloated, make-up melted down my face. But I love having such a wonderful happy time in my life so well documented. Because even though I feel I look like crap now, I know in ten years, I'll look back and think of how young and vibrant and happy I was.

You do what makes you happy though.

Burgh Baby's Mom said...

There is exactly one photo in existence that shows me pregnant, and I fully intend to delete it the next time we're at my MIL's house. Some of us just aren't cute pregnant (unlike AndreAnna--she's WAY cute!). So, I fully support you in your decision to not go all crazy with the belly shots. But, you know, it might make me feel better about myself the next time around if I were to see maybe one or two of you. You could Photoshop someone else's face over yours, just to make it amusing. I bet you'd look great with Angelina Jolie's head.

Kellie said...

Oh thank the Target gods that I am not the only one that has very limited pictures while pregnant. Only ones I have are two from my baby shower...one is full bare belly shot. I was all boobs and belly. I hated a camera being within 32 miles of my knocked up self.

Sadly, I regret it now. I see AndreAnna's pictures and so wish I'd done that.

I totally get why you don't want to post pics. It's all good....we'll still love you :)

Krystyn said...

You know what? I've never seen an unattractive pregnant woman! I say you go for it...cut your head off if you have to!

Karen said...

I look 9 mos. from 2 mos. on. Seriously. Seeing myself posing as a beach ball with arms and legs is not fun, so there are few pictures of myself pregnant. The stretch marks alone are enough to make someone want to wretch. I can completely understand your hesitancy.

fantasticvoyage said...

dont deny me a shot of your enormous breasts catwoman, I wait with baited breath

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

You are pandering to SLICK? Jeesh, woman, I thought you had better morals than that!!!

Hallie :)

Burgh Baby's Mom said...

Can I just say, you leave the best comments ever. Thank you for making me laugh every day!

anglophilefootballfanatic said...

I'll secretly take pictures of your expanding belly & leave your head off.

A's Mom said...

I agree with the belly shot thing. Although I did keep a pregnancy scrapbook, it was mainly because I was scared shitless of being pregnant. I too didn't look like I was pregnant until i was 8 months along. And even then it seemed like I had this extra den for Little Man to hang out in inside. A lot of people were very surprised when we said that he weighed 9 pounds 4 ounces.

P.S. You've been tagged. Sorry.
http://searchingforanevenbalance.blogspot.com/2008/02/nothing-better-to-do-actually-i-do.html

Rachel said...

LMAO at AFF because I was going to suggest that she go undercover and get us some belly shots!

I understand about the pics though. But, you can cut off your head, we won't mind. ;)

Kathryn said...

I only had one belly shot of my first pregnancy too. Then I had a couple with my second. I took a belly shot every month with my third. I guess I really got to appreciate my belly and what it represented when I was prego with the 3rd. I finally got over my hangup of looking freaking with a basketball sized belly. I'm so glad I did it. But like you, I don't know if I would post them on my blog. Hmmmm.

Bren said...

I didn't do belly shots either unless I was fully clothed. But I do wish I had a few.

Sandy said...

Your baby. Your belly. Your blog. Your friends.

Do whatever the heck the hormonal voices in your head tell you to do.

Blue Momma said...

The only pictures of me while pregnant are ones from my baby showers. Couldn't say no to people who were nice enough to be giving me things. Other than that? NO PICTURES.

I avoid the camera like the plague when I'm not pregnant, so pregnancy was no different.

But remember the gift part. You could work this to your advantage for gifts!

Ava said...

Pregnant women are beautiful, until you threaten them with a camera when they're not ready and they stab you with a fork.

I say power to you!

Joy T. said...

I don't have any pregnant pictures of myself and it's something, if I could do over, which I'm not because my youngest is about to turn 17 and no WAY am I going back to....where was I? Right. I say take lots of belly shots and post or don't post...although if you're asking I say post...but don't get old/er like me and regret you didn't take 'any' shots.

squishytushy said...

Is it really wrong that when I read the sentence, "And I have many reasons for that answer, the first one being that I will never look this cute" that I secretly hoped you linked to a photo of me?!

Jesse said...

I know what you mean about not feeling or looking cute. When I was pregnant with Sweet Pea I thought I looked cute but w/Monkey I thought my face looked different-does that make sense?

CPA Mom said...

that's funny, ironic, I was just now thinking, I wonder if Catwoman looks ANYTHING like I picture her. i'll send you a picture if you send me one!

Slick said...

Belly shots, Jello shots, boobie shots....

Count me in!!

I'm a Mom!..? said...

I was actually going to post a comparison of this pregnancy with the last -- it's depressing how big I got, and how fast. I did have maternity pics done and so glad I did..

Cass said...

I am so with you on the belly shots. Since becoming with child I thought it will be SO fun to document this GREAT time in my life. But you know what it's NOT so much fun. There are two kinds of belly shots - kind one is the clothed belly - I can appreciate these. The unclothed belly shot is just NOT something I want to see. Especially near the end - let's not scare the living crap out of me okay people?

As my FANTASTIC (and I only use Fantastic because another F adjective may not be embraced by you) Husband said to me two nights ago "Cass, when are you going to start looking more pregnant and you know less...." Less WHAT FH? "Less you know...just bigger" He was totally going to use the F word. He was. So I said "As soon as your hair starts GROWING back in!"

So yeah, I've totally managed my temper like a real champ.