Thursday, January 10, 2008

Sweetness

It hit me yesterday that my favorite moment during the month of December wasn't included in my monthly letter to Little Man.

And I'm very, very sad about it.

This blog is his baby book. I think I've said it before. It didn't start out that way, if you ever get so bored that you want to die of extra boredom, go read my first posts, where I was a working married woman who within a month of starting this blog got fired and then no longer had a crappy job to blog about, so I really started to blog about absolutely nothing. My posting was quite sporadic back then, simply because how often can you blog about the Young & the Restless, you know? (which speaking of which, how much longer are they going to keep Victoria in a coma? I mean seriously!)

Little Man does pretty well with sleeping in strange places, partly because we've made him sleep in alleys and barns a few times when we were on some really crazy binges that involved chocolate and that gum with the liquid center.

At my parents's house, Little Man had to sleep in my mother's office, a room that has approximately 3 inches of free space, where a small fold-out bed was placed for him. Little Man was surrounded by more antique furniture than if he'd slept in an antique store and I'm sure in his mind the words "what the hell?" flashed numerous time.

My mother doesn't have pictures anywhere in her house. It's not that she doesn't like pictures, she takes a lot of them, she just thinks that framed pictures take away from her style. So the only place you will ever find a framed photo in my mother's house is her office.

Because she's limited to that one room and she has a lot of people that she wants pictures of, her office ressembles a photo gallery, where her filing cabinet holds approximately 3,708 frames, all threatening to collapse if you breathe anywhere near them.

Luckily, Little Man is Little Man, a child who really requires no child proofing, so it didn't occur to any of us to even remove the approximately two million tons of glass covering those pictures, because I knew he wouldn't touch it and if he did, he'd be careful.

You're thinking this story has a bad ending now, don't you? You're thinking I'm about to tell you that Little Man now has shards of glass embedded in every single vital organ, don't you?

The first day we were in Ottawa and Little Man took his nap, he slept for a very long time. He's a great napper, I've bragged about this before, the way Donald Trump brags about the fact he's got a crap load of money. We can't help it, Donald and I. He's filed for bankruptcy twice, so having a crap load of money? That's a big accomplishment for him. Me? I spent four months with a child who would not sleep one wink, so the fact that this same child two years later will now nap for four hours every day and still sleep 10-12 hours a night (on most nights)? Hell yeah I'm going to brag about that!

But back to the story at hand. So Little Man finally woke up from his nap in this strange room that is my mother's office and I heard him babbling and calling for me.

I ran up the stairs to get him, as I always do, because usually by the third hour of his nap, I miss him so much and am so ready for him to wake up so we can freaking do something, like maybe watch Finding Nemo for the 10,000th time or maybe go rob a bank or something, I don't know, it depends on our mood, really.

When I walked in, my son was still laying on his stomach in the sleeping position, his prized stuffed frog clutched safely under his right arm and in his left hand, he was holding a small frame with a wedding picture of Sweetie Pie and I. Judging from the dried drool and embedded fingerprints, it was clear that he had slept with it. When I walked in, he was talking to our picture with so much love in his eyes, that I practically swallowed him right then and there, without even pausing to burp.

From that point on, every time I'd fetch him after he'd wake up, he always had that picture with him.

I think this means he's ready to start scrapbooking with me.

Love,

Catwoman.

18 comments:

random_mommy said...

A- That is literally the sweetest thing I've ever heard. Really. Love is so great.

Sandy said...

I have tears in my eyes and my heart is overflowing. THOSE are the moments!

PS: forward this blog to Kodak. At lease when I am crying over the 'kodak moments' commercials next year, I can scream and jump up and down and yell, "I know this story!"

Burgh Baby's Mom said...

Little Man is going to make a great Big Man someday. He's such a sweet kid!

MinneapolisMom said...

Oh my goodness...that is just about the cutest thing I've ever read! (well, the part about sleeping with your pic, not the shards of glass in his organs), which thankfully didn't happen! :)

Holly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AnGlOpHiLe FoOtBaLl FaNaTiC said...

Freaking lack of switching accounts. I will be known as the one who deletes comments for all eternity!

I so triple dog dare you to tell Sweetie Pie you and the boy child (the one who will be required to kill defenseless animals) are going scrapbooking. That would be the kodak I would want to see.

AND, that is the cutest thing I've read in a long time. How adorable that a picture of you is his security blanket.

Emma in Canada said...

That is very sweet. And he is totally ready for scrapbooking. There is nothing Saoirse loves more than stamping. Almost everyday she says "Are we gonna stamp today mummy?" Poor bugger with her lazy ass mother, we hardly ever do.

Morgan Leigh said...

Wow. Just wow. What a wonderful Little Man. And yes I agree, it's time to start scrapbooking, LOL. :)

Becca said...

That was possibly one of the greatest things I have ever read. You need to make sure you remember to tell that story to the girl he eventually marries (I know, I know you don't want to think about it), but it's so, so sweet!

Bren said...

Oh, what a sweet story!

And Victoria? I read we'll be seeing her at the end of the month but it didn't specify if she'd be awake or still in the coma.

lisa's chaos said...

That is the SWEETEST! And you made me LOL and my husband give me a strange look, when I read that last line!

Blue Momma said...

I would worship anyone who can improve mac and cheese. But since I already worship you this is just wasted on me.

The Punkin and I are fans of Velveeta shells and cheese, though we pretty much eat up anything cheesy. And I'm pretty sure that as soon as he can read he will stalk you, too.

Blue Momma said...

All of that processed cheese has obviously gone to my head since I commented on the wrong post.

I'm not worthy.

But Little Man? I love him. If he ever gets on your nerves, just send him to live with Punkin and I!

Kellie said...

Awwww....how sweet IS that?!

Laura McIntyre said...

Awwwwwwww the sweetest story ever

Beccy said...

Love the story, so sweet.

Rachel said...

OMG I could eat him too!!! That is just so sweet!

M said...

I am pretty sure I puked from sweetness. Dear cod he's divine.