Thursday, January 24, 2008

Peeling Back the Veil of Mystery

So Squishy Tushy, who I'd link to except I don't know if it's ok to do so, since she's gone secretive, wondered yesterday why I call myself Catwoman.

Since she's under the impression that I don't own a cat.

Well, misconception number one. I do own a cat. She's 18 years old, last summer lost all her hair to the point that AFF suggested that I might have her put down (to which I thought, Sweetie Pie's losing his hair, but I'm keeping him around anyway, ya know? Plus the cat's hair grew back, so all is good now). I've had the cat since I was 14. She's dumb as rocks, sheds way too much and because she ruined my brand new living room by using it as her giant litter box, she lives in our garage and is only allowed in for supervised visits.

This might sound horrible to you, but when I had Little Man, I couldn't risk him crawling around on carpet that had cat urine in it. End of story.

This cat, who was sickly as a kitten, now never gets sick, and except for a little arthritis in her back, the vet says she looks healthwise like she's 8 years old.

I believe the cat has decided to beat the Guinness Book of Records for oldest living cat, simply to spite my husband who claims to not like her, because she sits on him and sticks her tail in his mouth every chance she has.

I don't talk about the cat very much on this blog, simply because she doesn't do anything. Except for pee and poop all over Sweetie Pie's garage, despite having access to the outdoors all the time. So really, I would bore you all to death if I blogged about the cat.

But I don't call myself Catwoman because I have one cat. The reason I call myself that is when I was a single girl, in my early 20's, I had at one point three cats in my little apartment. Some might say that I was getting precariously close to becoming the crazy cat lady. My grandfather in France, upon finding out that I had adopted a third cat went bonkers apparently, and proclaimed that I would never be married off now, because what man would marry a woman with three cats?

However, one of my cats died of old age a few months before I met Sweetie Pie, and my future as a crazy cat lady was taken from me and I was married off, to my grandfather's great relief, I'm sure.

When I was living with my three cats, my friends nicknamed me Catwoman. For two reasons. One, I had many cats. And two, I was really hot.

I'm just kidding about that second part. I just thought I'd spice up the story for you a little bit. Although, once, I had a gay friend of mine say that my body drove him nuts and would make him consider going straight.

So I guess once upon a time, I was a catch. This gay friend was quite drunk at the time, but surely that doesn't impact my point in anyway.

When I started my blog, it was right around the time that that flight attendant was fired for having a blog. Plus, I was miserable in my job and would bitch about it on here, so I figured I needed a secret identity. Since I'm not very creative or imaginative when it comes to things that relate to me, I just used my old nickname.

The title of the blog came from the fact that I figured that maybe talking about Texas from a Canadian's perspective might be interesting fodder. I haven't exactly done that very much, because although there are obvious things like the fact that Texans believe the right to bear arms is more important than access to oxygen, because dang it, oxygen's not mentioned in that there document the constitution, I don't know if that would offer me enough fodder to keep this blog going forever.

But the name remained, since I was kind of stuck with it.

So there, mystery solved of where my name came from.

Now on to a meme that Random Mommy tagged me for that relates to this subject.

Why do you blog?

I blog because I can. That's not true. Although, that philosophy does apply to many things I do.

I blog because this is my online diary, my place to vent, my sounding board and my baby book, all rolled into one. It's a place where (for the most part), I can let it all hang out and hear from a bunch of people things like "you go girl!" or "he sucks!" or "I'm sure you'll poop again soon!", all of which make me grateful to be a part of this community.

I haven't kept a baby book for Little Man at all, one, because I'm not good at writing things down in the little spaces they offer. I'm a babbler. I can't just write down "first tooth 3/5/06." I've got to write about how I saw the tooth for the first time and how Little Man cried for weeks on end and didn't sleep and what he wore that day and how the dog licked the inside of Little Man's mouth thinking the new tooth might be a piece of food (none of this actually happened, I'm just too lazy to go back to the post where I blogged about Little Man's first tooth).

So this is my little spot of the Net where I can talk excessively about my son and how much he rocks and how he hates it when I sing, but he loves it when I whisper to him while he nuzzles his head in my neck.

What was the first blog you ever read?

It was my friend M.A. who at the time was Martini Gal, and still has a blog, but I'm not sure she'd want to be listed here when she now uses her real name and all and I'm read by whoever wants to come here. She told me she had a blog and I was all like "what kind of bug do you have? Is it contagious? Who gave it to you? Are you going to live?" And she was all like "you're a moron, but I like to make fun of you behind your back, so I will tell you more about this blogging thing." And at first I would read her blog and then I'd call her and be like "so what is this exactly?" And then I realized another friend of hers who I knew had a blog and I was all like "what? Does everyone have a blog? Because I can't be the last person on Earth who doesn't have a blog!" So I started one. Even though I had absolutely nothing to say back then. And the level of dullness of my blog made it apparent I had nothing to say. It took me a while to get comfortable with the medium and just develop my own unique style (and a pregnancy too!). To find an eye for what is blog fodder and what is not. In my case, that's taking something kind of odd and then over-exaggerating it in my description only to provide the audience something amusing.

What was the first blog that had you hooked?

That Delta flight attendant who was fired for taking pictures of herself on a plane and posting them on her blog. Interesting enough, I don't even know if she still posts nowadays. I kind of lost interest after a while and then didn't even link to her ever (mind you, It wasn't until maybe two years ago that I learned how to link to people), but at the time, having once been a flight attendant, I found her stories to be interesting and her firing to be very sad, because I didn't think the pictures were risque myself. But I was raised in Canada, not the South, where a picture of your neck showing could potentially be found obscene, because the rest of you is naked and you're straddling a goat, pfff, like that's obscene! I mean, come on! Welcome to the 21st Century, ya'll!

The next blog I got really hooked on was Dooce while I was pregnant. I read about her somewhere and went to her site out of curiosity. When I read her monthly letter to Leta, with about 10 billion gallons of hormones rushing through my body, I sobbed like a baby, snot pouring down my face for hours on end. I was hooked. I think hers was the only blog that I caught mid-stream and read all the way back to the beginning. And of course, I completely credit her for the monthly letter I write to Little Man. When I first read hers, I thought "that is the most beautiful love letter I have ever read!" Some day I plan to print all of those letters to Little Man with other posts about him on this blog and have them bound hard copy. I figure they are the stories of his life and I want him to know that I will always love him as much as I have when I wrote those letters, no matter what happens.

Which blogger friend would you most like to meet in real person?

This one is hard, because I'd like to meet just about everyone on my blog roll and a few others who I haven't had a chance to add to my blog roll yet, because I'm really not good at doing that (I'm talking about you Burgh Baby, I will add you and all of your hilarity at some point, maybe as soon as I've started getting on the 30 pounds I need to lose), but if I had to pick one person, I'd have to pick Emma in Canada, just because she made me. No, that is not an exaggeration, she somehow stumbled onto me, linked to me, wrote about me a few times on her blog, which led some of her readers to come to me. And most of my readers are Emma's readers. If it wasn't for the fact that people care about what I put on here and tell me so through comments and email, I don't know if I would have been as good about blogging as often as I do. But because of Emma, I am here and because of the readers she sent my way, I'm still here. And for that, I would like to meet her and tell her that she is a really, really powerful being in Bloggyland, and I really don't think she realizes it.

Which blog do you admire the most, why?

Man, that's really a hard one too. The easy answer is Dooce again. Because not only does the sister write the most embarrassing stories that make me laugh so hard that I get cramps like this story, that I could never write as brilliantly as she does. She makes me strive to be a better story teller, and I know that since reading her, my writing has taken on some Dooce qualities. She's such a vivid writer. What I most admire about her, is that she has gotten to a place with her blog that she not only supports herself, but her husband is also a stay-at-home dad because of her income. Which I am just in awe of.

But then there are so many people on my blog roll who aren't A-list bloggers who I so greatly admire because of the way they've overcome situations or are currently going through situations. Like That Chick, who as a very young woman found herself to be a single woman, dumped by a moron, pregnant with twins and without an education to fall back on. She could easily be another story of a woman living on government aide who feels sorry for herself and blames the world. And she'd have every right, in my liberal opinion. But no, not only did she raise two amazing children, but she got a college degree and turned into one of the funniest bloggers in the process and is just an amazing source of strength. Or M who has fought so hard to get Liam diagnosed with autism and then has been relentless in her pursuit of therapies for him, so that he's just grown by leaps and bounds in the past few months, all due to one passionate and hilariously fantastic mom. Or Kellie who has literally been bitch slapped recently and has faced it with more cojones and grace in her little finger than I have in my entire body. Or Blue Momma who has desperately wanted a second child more than anything else in the world and yet she thinks of others on her blog and might be one of the sweetest people in the community. Or Hallie, who might be one of the strongest women I know and the mother I want to be in 17 years. Her sons love her more than anything and her relationship with them is just this beautiful waltz. As someone who has an awkward relationship with my mom, I have learned more in the past month while reading Hallie than any parenting magazine or book. Her kids love her, despite being 19 and 14. She embraces them for who they are. She is loving, supportive and just amazing. Her oldest son recently left to become an Air Man. And Hallie sits at home, heartbroken and yet the picture of grace. When she posts about the heartbreaking calls she get of her 19-year old son crying and admitting that he's scared, I cry with her and yet I am blown away by her strength as she has the right words, the ones he needs to hear, the ones that will get him through the hard times, she is who I want to become. And then of course, there's Random Mommy and Ohio Blue Eyes who can post about their love lives like no one else can and make me feel bad for Sweetie Pie.

All of these women don't get paid for their blogs and yet, they all have more of an impact on me than any professional or expert ever could. I admire them because of the women they are, the mothers they are, the wives they are and just the human beings they are. Each of them, in some way make me strive to be a better person, a better mother, a better writer. My world is better because I read all of them and all of the other women (and one man!) on my blog roll.


How many blogs do you keep up with on a daily basis? Way too many. Sometimes I ponder giving some up, because it's just so time consuming. Between my blogging, my reading and commenting, I often don't start working until well, not right away, we'll just say. But then I look through my blog roll, and picking some to drop seems impossible, because I'm so attached to everyone of them.

Link to your 123rd post. Or your 3rd, if you don't have 123.Here it is. Interesting that this is a post about Canada, but also interesting to note that this is the first post that Emma commented on. Couldn't have worked out any stranger!

I'm not going to tag anyone on this, just do it if you want to.

Love,

Catwoman.

17 comments:

lisa's chaos said...

There's a whole lotta linky love there! Interesting about Emma, I had no idea, she must have posted about you before I started reading her. Or I'm just lost, cuz my brain is usually cluttered it's probably that one. I only found you through the ornament swap, funny!

I bet Holly is feeling really bad about now for telling you that kitty might have to be put down.

Sandy said...

My daughter has a cat, Razz, who lives with her grandmother (my daughter's grandmother, not the cat's) in CA. Razz is 19 or 20 and thrives on being ignored. I think cats are just contrary that way.

This really was interesting finding out how you got where you are and it's even funnier because I read Emma, but I got to her through you!

AnGlOpHiLe FoOtBaLl FaNaTiC said...

And, Emma made you & you made me! But you know your cat really does need some rogaine.

AnGlOpHiLe FoOtBaLl FaNaTiC said...

Oh, and when did you get NC-17 status, you stud?

Also, post 123? You know Pup & I got crazy obsessed with curling, right?

Grandmagoose said...

Wow,I really enjoyed reading your entry,and learning some
things about you that I did not know before!!!

Emma in Canada said...

Personally, I like the theory that you wear black leather while blogging better than you having been the former owner of 3 cats.

And thanks for the nice things you said about me. On a day like today it was lovely to come across. Though I hardly think I made you. You have readers who would come no where near me!

Morgan Leigh said...

I agree with Emma. For whatever reason, I always pictured you like Catwoman, LOL. But, anyways, great post. 3 cats? Wow. I'm sure they really gave you the name because you are hot....

:)

Rachel said...

Damn, 3 cats makes you a crazy cat lady? I mean, I guess it would for you, since we already know that you are crazy.

Love the post!

Burgh Baby's Mom said...

If you had any idea how many times I have gone to add you to my blogroll then forgot why I logged into Blogger, you would laugh for days. But now that I finally know where the name comes from, I finally came through. Two points for me.

Um, 3 cats? That's it? So am I Zookeeperwoman for having 3 cats, 2 dogs, and an iguana? OK, so a cat and the iguana croaked last year, but they were all here together for over a decade, along with various other beasts that I choose to forget.

Alpha Dude 1.5 said...

I don't have 123 posts yet, but I'm getting close!

You raise a good point, I link to so many blogs that have a profound impact on my life. I feel like I actually know some of them. The saddest part is that I have difficulty keeping up with them every day. Like yours. sorry I don't get around more often.

Blessings to you.
Thanks for being here.

Squishy Tushy said...

Crap. Another blogger who doesn't want to meet me. Clearly an incentive to make my posts more interesting!!

But happy to know that Dooce's posts have moved someone else to actual tears!

Oh... you can totally link to me! I need READERS!! The whole secrecy thing is that I can no longer be traced through Google or anything through my real name.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

You rock!! Your comments about me made me feel all mooshy. :-) I love the "beautiful waltz" part - seriously, that made me sit back and smile....

I wrote about it on today's blog.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Joy T. said...

I thought I found you through NaBloPoMo but maybe it was through Emma since I read her too. Oh who knows. I'm just glad I did find your blog because you make me laugh until tea comes out of my nose.

That Chick Over There said...

Aww! I suck ass, but thanks for thinking of me anyway.

*MWAH!*

rookiemom said...

Don't feel bad. At one point I had 7 cats in a one bedroom. Of course, it was due to a kitten outbreak from a preggo mama cat, but still...

nancypants said...

Just had to stop and say "Hi!" from a Californian who spent several years in Texas and now lives in Canada! Umm... you're not missin' much right now. It's supposed to be -52 with windchill (at night) this week... and not a whole lot warmer during the day! LOL I sorta kinda miss Texas at times like this! :^D

M said...

Um...evidently blogger isn't impressed with my overcommenting and has shut me down twice. fuckers.

as i was saying...your answers are way rocktacular.