Friday, November 30, 2007

Although I Still Think Matt Lauer is Kinda Sexy

I was watching the first few minutes of the Today Show this morning, as I try to do every day and of course, as has been the case for weeks now, the Stacy Peterson case was their top story. Why this disappearance is more interesting than the other hundreds of women, men and children who have probably disappeared since then, I'm guessing is because she's white, young and attractive.

An old African-American woman disappeared in Dallas around the same time Stacy Peterson did. Yesterday, her body was found. The story that briefly mentioned the finding of the body was on our local broadcast, squeezed between traffic and a story about artificial Christmas trees versus real Christmas trees. Where is Meredith to interview this woman's family begging for her return and asking for assistance in the search? Even worse? I've now tried to find on local sites the name of the woman and I can't seem to find any news stories about it.

I'm going to step off this soap box now, to get on another one. This morning? On the Today Show, they had a guy on who was talking about how Drew Peterson, Stacy Peterson's husband might have disposed of the body in a blue container. How did this guy know this? Because apparently, he went to Junior High School 19 years ago with Drew Peterson's half brother. And he still kind of knows the guy and apparently the half brother has told people he thinks he helped him accidentally.

What draws these people to be on television and take such pleasure in a family's pain in order to tell others "hey, I was on the Today Show! Isn't that cool????"

When I was in university, I worked one year at a Second Cup, the Canadian equivalent of Starbucks, and the reason that I still harbor resentment for big, bad American Starbucks, because I was raised to believe that you support Canadian companies, damn it. Now that I'm in the US, it's obviously not as big of a concern, since there really aren't Canadian companies here to pick over the US companies, but the companies I grew up resenting, well, it's still hard for me to give them my money.

Like I still won't go to a Dunkin Donuts, because I'm a Tim Horton's girl. Nearest Tim Horton's to me? Uhm, probably about 1,600 miles. I'm what they call a brand loyalist.

Either way. I had some regulars while I worked at that Second Cup. If I actually had a long term memory, I might remember one or two of them. And for this exercise we'll pretend I do. Let's say one of my regulars that I remember disappears. And the case actually becomes interesting to media. Never would it occur to me to call one of the news stations and say "oh, I knew him back then, and I think he was kind of slutty, maybe that's why he's gone now."

Because really? If you knew someone 19 years ago, chances are, there nothing like you remember. Anyone who has gone to Junior High with me would describe me as awkward, shy, but then really talkative once I got to know them. Although I'm extremely talkative still, the rest of that phrase, not so much applies to me anymore.

I do still think of myself as awkward. Things will come out of my mouth, that I want to quickly grab and destroy before everyone has a chance to realize what I said. People around me? Consider these verbal diarrhea attacks charming and particularly witty.

Someone who knew me in junior high would also say that I was too skinny with no boobs. I think it's fair to say now that this description would apply to me as well as the spam emails offering me pills that will enlarge my member to make her scream all night.

I wonder who else might gravely look in the camera asking for my safe return. The neighbor who I've never spoken to, but wave at every time our cars pass on our street? My super in Toronto who met me once when I got the keys from him and said to never call him unless my apartment was on fire, leading me to have a broken oven for more than a year, until a new super started, because I didn't want to make him mad. Maybe the airline passenger I spilled an entire tray of orange juice on once during my flight attendant career.

What gives any of these people a right to have a public voice during someone's tragedy?

Love,

Catwoman.

14 comments:

Emma in Canada said...

There is definitely something about the power of the media that makes people want to say really stupid stuff about someone they met briefly a million years ago.

I'm actually quite surprised there is no Tim Hortons in Dallas because there are so many freaking Canadians and so many Canadian businesses down there. Maybe you should petition the Canadian embassy. Of course there are also daily flights to Edmonton so maybe you and AFF could fly up and have some Timmy's in the airport and go back. Or you could venture out of the airport and come to the mall with me. There's a Timmy's there. And a Second Cup. And a Starbucks.
I'm just saying. You know, if you guys are ever bored and have a few hundred extra dollars to spend on a cup of coffee. Though I think there may be some Tim Horton's coffee in your near future that doesn't involve flying to Edmonton.

Sandy said...

Very thought provoking. Thank you.

Oh, and you could come visit me. We have no Horton's, no 2nd cup, no Starschmuck's. We do have a gas station with a convenience store! Actually, we have LOTS of those - just no coffee/donut shops!

ShayShay said...

You're so right!

Loukia said...

I'm just so depressed with all the horrific stories I keep reading on CNN.com this week about children being killed at the hands of their parents... like that 2 year old little girl who was beaten to death by her 'mother' and 'step-father'. These people (who should not even be called people) should be slowly tortured until they themselves die! I mean seriously, are they actually feeding them? Let them starve! I can't stand stories like that.

Becca said...

Damn you hit the nail on the head with that one. I've always wondered what makes one case so irrestible to the media, when there are thousands of other ones out there just like it.

And I do kinda have a thing for Matt Lauer too. I think it all started when he lashed out at Tom Cruise...

AnGlOpHiLe FoOtBaLl FaNaTiC said...

Shows you how little I pay attention to the liberal media. I don't even know who Stacy Peterson is. And, believe you me, if you disappear, I won't be talking to Matt about you.

I'm a Mom!..? said...

Gotta love the media....And of course the idiots looking for their 15 minutes of fame...

alissa said...

I kind of think of those dolts in the same vein as the ones that go on Dr. Phil to save their marriages, their in-law relations, or their substance abuse problems. Some people just need to be on TV. For whatever possible reason.

Sadly, I must confess that I prefer my hot lattes at Starbucks. That, and they are much more kid-friendly, what with their organic chilren's apple juice for $1.00! Love that! Still don't understand why 2nd Cup hasn't followed suit...

That Chick Over There said...

Yep, yep, YEP. I am SO sick of people only paying attention if you are attractive and white. I'm SICK of this. Around the time Lacy Peterson disappeared a Hispanic, pregnant woman went missing and her body was eventually found. Did anyone hear about it? Hell no.

I mean, I felt horrid about Lacy. I wish I had known her. But I wish I had known that Hispanic woman too. I'm ashamed I don't even know her name.

Bren said...

Same story with missing or abused children. Those with affluent white families get all of the media attention while the poor minorities are forgotten.

As for coffee, I admit I'm a Starbucks whore but I'd give your Second Cup or Tim Horton's a try if we had one. My Canadian friend swears by Tim Horton's coffee.

Blue Momma said...

We don't have Tim Horton's or Duncan Donuts here. It really sucks as living up north for a few years made me a bagel fanatic. Hell, they even sold them at McDonalds in MA.

White, attractive and affluent always gets the attention. I agree it's not fair. I just hope I never go missing because, while I'm white as Casper that's about it....

mumof4 said...

Your post is so very very right. I mean the news/white/head line grabbing/ vague acquaintence bit. I had never heard of Tim Horton but I-ll be sure to look out for him should I go to Canada....

M said...

Amen. amen. a.freaking.men.

This situation makes me infreakingsane. Hate it hate it hate it.

Rachel said...

I completely agree with you. I hate how our media makes a big deal out of one case, but ignores one that is exactly the same, because, maybe that person is poor and foreign or something. I may not be rich, but, by God, if one of my kids is missing I want anyone and everyone to know and to help!