Thursday, October 11, 2007

Leaving the Best Part of Stories Out

Remember how yesterday I posted that really, really long post about my day off? And remember how you got so bored halfway through that your eyes glazed over?

Well, I have more to add to that post! More, you say? How is that possible, when I didn't leave any details out, clearly mentioning every single breath I took that day.

On my day off, when I went to put a very exhausted little man to bed, I held him, read him his favorite books and when I tucked him into bed, I kissed him on the head and I whispered to him "thank you for spending the day with me." He whispered back "you're welcome." Like it'd been a pain in his side to do all of these playdates with me and eat too much sugar and watch Finding Nemo, but that because he's a good person, he did it anyway. He really is a good guy.

Everyone has somewhere that makes them happy. Where no matter what kind of day you're having, spending a few minutes in that place always makes you happy. For me, that place is my son's daycare class. It's such a happy place, with a ton of cute little creatures, about three feet tall each and they're snuggly and smiling and refer to you by your kid's name's Mama. I love being somewhere where I'm simply known as Little Man's Mama. It makes me feel special and cool and important.

When I drop Little Man off in the morning, I like to sit with all the kids for breakfast. They come and greet me, they talk to me and for a few minutes, I get to escape the adult world and all of my responsibilities and just chill. One little girl always gives me hugs and sits on my lap and chats with me. Little Man points out all of the kids and reminds me of their names, because, surely, I'm too old to retain important information like the names of the kids in his class.

It's a safe place, one where I get to be the hero for retrieving one sad boy's stuffed monkey from his cubby, when he's getting distraught that he can't reach it. And where I get to wipe boogers off faces and get apple-sauce coated handprints on my clean work clothes. No matter how pissy I might be that morning, I always leave for work content and happy and with a smile on my face.

It's my happy place. And I only have to pay $895 a month to get to hang out for a few minutes. Well, I think part of that price also covers Little Man's tuition.

Love,

Catwoman.

14 comments:

Kellie said...

We all need places like that. I'm now going to find mine.

$895 a month? For the love of shoes....

That Chick Over There said...

I haven't found my place yet.

AnGlOpHiLe FoOtBaLl FaNaTiC said...

Funny you mention Nemo, cause there's that line that says, "Find your happy place. Find your happy place!"

Glad yours is so reasonably priced. Now, if it only came with a massage and pedicure.

Morgan Leigh said...

:-) $895! Wow.

But, atleast it makes you happy.

I'd say it's worth it.

:-)

Slick said...

895 bucks? You buy expensive friends.

Mine are like 80 bucks but they only hang out with me once a month.

Want their address? The corner of....

Well, I better not put that out in the public.

Julie said...

Wanna trade daycare bills? $895 sounds like a bargain!

Blue Momma said...

So when I grow up I'm gonna teach 7th grade math and you'll teach preschool.

We'll both take a 50%+ paycut, but we'll be happy.

Right? Please tell me I'll be happy.

my minivan is faster than yours said...

I so get you on this one. I LOVE picking my son up from preschool and seeing how excited his little buddies get.

Now my daughter on the other hand, now that's a different story. She evidently is always happy all morning, then as soon as I walk through the door she loses her S***. My husband says something about her being just like me. Hmmm...

Anonymous said...

wow 895 buck, i hope hes treated like royalty!

AndreAnna said...

I used to be a daycare teacher and it was the only job I got up in the morning and looked forward to going to. It was so emotionally rewarding. Now, if they only made the job financially rewarding, maybe more people who truly love it would stay there. Instead, I work a meaningless job where at the end of the day, whether I exist or not is irrelevant, as long as my deadlines are met. But it allows me this life I love, and for now, that is good enough.

It warms my heart to hear you talk about how much you love your little guy. It pours off the page.

alissa said...

What a nice, happy blog.

Curious to know, however, what $895 gets you in Texas? And, by daycare do you mean preschool? How many days a week? Are we talking full or half? Are they learning French, or is it socialization-based? Is lunch included, or just a snack? Seriously... I needs to know.

Beccy said...

The daycare place sounds like a really happy enviroment for Little Man.

TexasBluegoose said...

My happy place is our bed or the couch snuggled up into my hubby's neck with our puppy snuggling with us.

No kids yet for me (but maybe you guessed that when I said puppy and not child) but the prices of daycare do intriuge me. I think we're a few years out from kids but the "to work or not to work" debate is a really hard one for me....the quality child care costs are clearly a big factor (since I will not be sending my future children to that place that left a kid in the car last year and then last week left the daycare facility locked with a baby sitting in a high chair!)

I'm a Dallas girl too so any input on ranges of daycare and then private school (since I refuse to move north of 635) would be much appreciated!

Rachel said...

See, now, Kaylie's daycare? Makes me want to drink. Alot.