Tuesday, October 30, 2007

At a Crossroad

I have an important decision to make, Internet. One that I need your input for.

Months and months ago, I decided that it was time for me to find a new OB-Gyn. Because the one that delivered Little Man, although she was fantastic and I will forever be grateful for her for saving my life and my son's and for giving me about the most beautiful C-section scar a woman could ask for, well, she's 45 miles away from my house. With the number of visits required during pregnancy and the fact that I now have a real job and just can't find it feasible to take off for half a day every time I need to go see her, I decided I needed to find someone closer to home.

After much research online of area doctors, I remembered a Mom in one of my mommy groups talking about having HELLP syndrome too and how much she loved her doctor, which is in my neck of the woods.

I looked up her doctor and realized that all of the doctors (all female, another important thing for me) in that practice had tremendous experience at the top-rated Parkland Hospital(our community hospital here which pumps out more new babies than anywhere else in the country), which means that all of them have about five times the birthing experience of any other doctor.

So I did what any normal person would do.

I chose the hottest out of the four doctors.

I went to meet her in January, and I totally loved her. She let me sob in her office as I told her my pregnancy story and about my fear that I shouldn't have other kids because of what we'd found on the Internet. She was fantastic and cool and young, probably only three or four years older than me.

I knew we were meant to be together after that appointment. Forever and ever. Me, unshaven in stirrups, her impossibly hot and rocking the lab coat the way anyone on Grey's Anatomy does.

She told me during that appointment that she was pregnant with her third son. This blew me away, since she looked as thin as Heidi Klum.

Then a few weeks ago, I get a letter in the mail announcing that she is retiring from medicine. That she has decided that she's missing out on too much with her kids, her eldest is starting kindergarten and she wants to be there for her boys.

I died a little inside. After all, she was the chosen one, the one who was going to deliver my next baby. And if I'm lucky enough to not get HELLP Syndrome again, then the baby after that.

Now, I would have to find another doctor. However, I know that I love that practice. Surely, if she's that great, and the other doctors have known her since they were all residents together, then they are great too, right?

So I just went on the Web site for their practice, to pick my next doctor based on their little write-up, their resume and, of course, their picture.

This is where I'm torn.

I can pick between the doctor who I know treated another mom I kind of know with HELLP Syndrome.

Or I can pick the new addition. Who, until June of this year, was still a resident. So she's very young. Probably in her late 20's or early 30's.

And I like the idea of being one of the first patients of a new doctor.

But then I think to myself that I'll be a high-risk pregnancy and what if she hasn't gotten a case like mine before?

But she's so cute and young. And would make me feel like I'm on an episode of Grey's Anatomy.

So what do I do, readers? Do I go for the new doctor who probably needs patients like me willing to give her a shot? Or do I play safe and go with the one who I knows has experience with my case?

Love,

Catwoman.

22 comments:

Kellie said...

I'd go with the one who has experience with your case. If you weren't at a risk for anything, go with the new girl.

Although--if you go with the new one and she comes across something she's never seen, it's not like she's in the backwoods of Alaska with no one to turn to for guidance.

I, clearly, am no help. You're welcome.

:)

CPA Mom said...

Since I'm a new reader, I'm not sure what HELLP is. But if it were me, I'd use the doctor that has experience with it. High risk means (to me) that I would want someone who knows what is going on.

Chris said...

THat's tough.

The newer doc will know more cutting edge' information, I would think. They may also be more 'on their toes' so to speak because they are new and they aren't used to 'everyday pregger complaints' that may be more.

On the other hand, the doc with more experience seems like a much safer bet. Just in case. Just on that slight chance.

Regular gyno visits, normal pregnancy, I'd totally say go the "Izzy" route. But in this case..I'd much rather have Dr. Bailey!

Blue Momma said...

I'd go with experience. It's not like you won't end up seeing every one of them before your due date anyway. Then if you find one you like better, switch to them.

With a group practice you get to benefit from the experience of all of the doctors. And I'm with you on the female OB/GYN. If you don't have one, I don't want you doctoring mine!

Morgan Leigh said...

That's a tough one.

I don't know what HELLP is, so I'm thinking you should go with the one with experience.

Julie said...

Play it safe. My OBGYN, who delivered both my girls, was butt ugly but fabulous Dr! : )

Maybe you can schedule now and then with hot dr. just to keep it real.

eeyorespage said...

for a high risk pregnancy the doctor with the most experience gets my vote

Bren said...

If it was me, I'd go with experience. It's too important not to.

TexasBluegoose said...

I'd recomend meeting with both doctors you are debating between and then making a decision. I interviewed my OBGYN before the first visit and highly recomend it. It's too personal of an experience not to be 100% comfortable with your doctor. And in your case I would certianly discuss the HELLP and see how they respond. I'm sure many other patients of your retiring doctor will do the same...I feel for you though. I dread the day my OBGYN has has kids for this very reason! Good luck!

Beccy said...

I too would go for the most experinced doctor with your pregnancy history.

AnGlOpHiLe FoOtBaLl FaNaTiC said...

Choose option 3: neither. Go to mine. She's kick ass. Was chief resident at Southwestern & is about our age. She's young, with plenty of experience. She was R's doc. And, if someone can satisfy R, you know they are awesome.

mumof4 said...

Do you only see one Dr the whole time? Or can you alternate? I mean the more experienced Dr will give you comfort but may be set in their ways where as a newer Dr may have new takes on the condition? Can you not write a letter to now retired Heidi Klum Dr and askfor her recommendation? I am sure the practice would still mail it on to her.....

monster's momma said...

Play it safe. You'll probably be seen by all the docs & delivered by whomever's available the day you pop anyhoo. Love ya! Sorry your doc left - darn her for putting her kids first.

That Chick Over There said...

Another vote for experience!

ohio blue eyes said...

i'd pick the same gyno your mom & sisters go to, so you can make uncomfortable statements like, "yeah, we look alot alike, people say that all the time" while in stirrups, etc. its good fun! bonus, he's a dude!

i'd pick dr quinn. wussy.

alissa said...

Can you contact your first choice, the one who is leaving the field, and ask for her recommendation? Or, if not her directly, then her office?

Otherwise, I vote for experience.

random_mommy said...

Woman, are you nuts?!?!
You MUST stop watching so much TV, it's starting to effect your judgement. I mean, come on, we're talking about your DOCTOR here.

Pick the pretty one.

Kidding!

Tell them you're not sure who you want, and rotate back and forth between the two for a few months. After that, you'll know.

Haphazardkat said...

Go with the experienced one. :)

Happy Halloween!

*plinks some sugar babies in your basket*

qofd said...

Make an appointment with the new doctor. Feel her out. See if you "click". Then decide after that.

Rachel said...

If it were me, I would go to the doctor with experience with the type of pregnancy you had. Although, the new doctor may have had experience too. Talk with both of them. Choose the one that you feel the most comfortable with.

Ms. Porter said...

If your only options are a or b then I would go with a...experience trumps coolness in this case. Why not check them both out, you never know...what if b worked under the original doctor you wanted?
By the way I'M TOTALLY CROSSING MY FINGERS FOR YOU THAT YOU GET SOME GOOD NEWS AFTER YOU PEE ON THE STICK TOMORROW! I'm just catching up on my blog reading (as usual).

I'm a Mom!..? said...

I would go with experience because of your background... Definitely what to be on the safe side.....