Monday, September 24, 2007

Go Football!

When I was pregnant with Little Man, Sweetie Pie would tell me how he couldn't wait until our baby was born, because during football season, he could sit in his recliner holding the baby and watch the game. When Little Man was born, there was not much sitting around, as he liked to be moved around, so Sweetie Pie spent many Sunday afternoons pushing the umbrella stroller around our first floor, throwing longing gazes towards the game as he kept missing great play after great play.

Now that Little Man is two years old, Sweetie Pie has decided that it is time he become a Texas man. And that means developing a love of football. When Little Man woke up from his nap yesterday, Sweetie Pie was laying on our bed watching the New York Giants game and I brought Little Man into the room so that they could hang out together while I did important things like clean my blinds and check Facebook.

Little Man was very confused by football, mainly because he couldn't understand why grown men fall down more often than toddlers. And so after every play, Little Man would yell "oh goodness! What happened? Fall down!!!"

As Sweetie Pie tried to explain to him the concept of tackling, Little Man would get bored and entertain himself by yelling "go football!" I believe this is his way of remaining neutral so that he can align himself with a winning team. You never want to pledge your allegiance too early and become something terrible like a Washington Red Skins fan (per Sweetie Pie, I'm Canadian, I don't watch football).

About ten minutes later, Little Man said to Sweetie Pie "No more football. Mickey Mouse Club House, ok? Please and thank you."

And wouldn't you know it, that kid managed to do something I've never been able to accomplish in 9.5 years together. He got Sweetie Pie to turn it off the football game.

Now if only I could convince Little Man to start watching Lifetime movies, I think we'd be an unbeatable team.

Love,

Catwoman.

14 comments:

M said...

OMFG I am in LOVE with your son. I mean, we knew that, but the shit this kid does slays me.

And getting daddy to turn off FOOTBALL? Man oh man I don't think my husband would do that and he's not a crazy Texas football fan (they are, you know, the scariest footballs fans in the world. I know this from watching the Cowboys cheerleader tryout show, ya know, I sure as hell don't watch foodball.)

AndreAnna said...

Wow, he's a smart kid!

Julie said...

Whoa Whoa Whoa - I am a Redskins fan! Just don't let Sweetie Pie turn Little Man into a Cowboys, Eagles or Giants fan and we'll be all good! : ) I think the Bengals are in need of some fans.

Elle said...

LOL lil boys I tell ya!

AnGlOpHiLe FoOtBaLl FaNaTiC said...

As the only female member of our fantasy football team, I have to say, it's taken Sweetie Pie two years to start? Wow! My tike was holding his hands up in touchdown style when he wasn't even walking yet. He sees a football, and as he's totally brainwashed, says, "Irish fooball." When ANY sport is on it's Irish football. Of course, this year, Irish football is the worst in 119 years, so he has had very little chance to cheer. My Puppy would've changed the tv & left for another room. It's probably good you aren't showing Little Man football, as my child's vocabulary has become laced with many an expletive!

CPA Mom said...

So who is the family team for you? Ours is J-E-T-S, JETS, JETS, JETS. My mom likes the Deadskins...too funny how BADLY they got whooped yesterday.

Your child? Pure Genius.

Rachel said...

That kid freakin trips me out!! Can I trade you?

Alyssa says "touchdown", pronounced "to-dow", complete with hands in the air.

Kellie said...

For the love of shoes...my Mom is a Redskins fan. SHe's in Atlantic City right now and given she's up $1800, I didn't have the heart to tell her her boys got their asses handed to them.

I do not watch football. I use to try, but would get distracted by something sparkly and that would be the end of that.

Horray for Little Man...he's good. :)

random_mommy said...

He's got powers I tell you, POWERS.

Morgan Leigh said...

:-) that's so funny. hubby won't change football until the kids are about to scream, and then he does so...with much eye rolling. :-)

Blue Momma said...

Who could say no to Little Man? He is just too irresistible!

Punkin hasn't shown an interest in sports on tv. It could be because we don't watch any, though.

But I'm sure if the Little Mermaid started running for touchdowns he would be all over it...

my minivan is faster than yours said...

That's so funny because we're trying to get Crusher into football this year. It's going about as well as it is for you. Are they too old for the umbrella stroller?

P.S. Cardinals suck. Lions suck. Tell Little Man to steer clear of the both of 'em!

Emma in Canada said...

Of course he doesn't like football. Your son is destined to be a hockey fan. But not the Stars please. Everytime I see them I think of Mike Modano -don't even know if he still plays with them- and the rumour that his balls hang down way too low. Scary, scary thoughts.

Slick said...

Ha...hilarious post!

But now you see the sacrifices men make for our offspring.

You should reward Sweetie Pie....