Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Swiss Cheese For a Brain

"Hello?

- Hey Sweetie Pie! I just picked up Little Man from daycare. What are you doing?

- I'm sitting at my parents' house watching TV.

(I laugh) - You are??? Why are you doing that? You do realize we have a TV at our house, don't you?

- Uhm... Yeah, I am aware of that, but you're supposed to be on your way here to.

- Why would I be doing that?

(long pause)

- Because I called you this morning to tell you that Mom invited us over for dinner and you said that was fine."

I swear to you that until he said that, I had absolutely no recollection of this whatsoever. Sweetie Pie called me a little after 11 a.m. to ask me about dinner at his parents. I left work at 5 p.m. In those six hours, my brain completely removed any memory of the conversation and I was wondering how I'd have enough time to marinate the salmon fillet so that the teryiaki flavor would be nice and strong.

Also? When I go home on Friday nights? My brain completely removes anything work related and sends it to the land fills or something, just to piss off Green Peace. Because people will follow up with me on Monday about conversations that we had the week before and I look at them like they're completely crazy and then they have to send me emails reminding me that, I, in fact, am the crazy one.

Did anyone else's IQ drop 50 points once they had a child? Did Little Man suck all the grey matter out of me when I was pregnant, resulting in a 23-month old who can count to 10, know all his colors, know his alphabet and is working on memorizing his dinosaurs, but a mother who can't even recall dinner plans a mere six hours after they were made?

Luckily, it seems my trivia brain compartment is intact, and I still know lyrics from one hit wonders from the 80's so at least I should live the rest of my life happy.

Love,

Catwoman.

18 comments:

Julie said...

I was pretty well together, brain wise, until we had our second child. Now I forget things all the time. I have to leave myself email and voicemail reminders!

alissa said...

I actually think it's my husband's brain that dropped in IQ points once I had kids.

Me, I'm great.

Slick said...

Ooooooo, you didn't even get in trouble did you??

Rachel said...

50? Is that all you dropped? Maybe the more kids you have the more you lose, cuz I've dropped about 100! At least!

Kellie said...

Mine dropped a crapton, too. Once upon a time I could remember all kinds of things--important and not so. Now? I'm lucky if I remember to put on a bra!!

Emma in Canada said...

Yeah I definitely have no memory of things that happen in my personal life but I do kick ass at pop culture quizzes.

And you should have marinated that salmon in the morning before you went to work.

Morgan Leigh said...

my memory is totally shot. the other day, while in the shower, i was trying to think of a way to get my brainpower back to the way it used to be, before the two munchkins. but, i don't remember what i thought about doing. :):(

my minivan is faster than yours said...

If you can redirect your energies to get your 23-month-old to start spelling words like "stegosaurus" you won't have time to work anymore anyway. You would be spending all of your time on the talk show circuit.

I can TOTALLY see Little Man on Regis. GOOOOO Little Man!!

NeUrOtIc CuRb ChEcKiNg SuV dRiVeR said...

You know science proved pregnancy robs your brain of whatever it is that makes you retain short term memory, right? It's not your fault. Blame the baby. And, you & me...we still need to hit a trivia joint to eat buffalo wings and show off our random knowledge prowess. It's the one area I dominate the hubby.

Stefanie said...

You must be addicted to Singing Bee or Don't Forget the Lyrics if that's still on. I know all the words to most 80's songs too. It's a gift.

jesse said...

You are not alone in the dept of brain cells. Of course it doesn't help that I smoked a little to much weed in my younger rebellious days; then mix in pregnancy it's a wonder I can even tie my own shoes-lol. But somehow thru the brain farts I manage to take care of the family and even take some classes.

Ms. Porter said...

oh boy, i've got a bad case of the stupids all day everyday. trust me it gets worse with each child. oh and sorry about that bitch flo coming for a visit.

Beccy said...

Only 50 IQ points more like 150!

Blue Momma said...

I was going to leave a comment, but I've already forgot what the post was about.

Sorry.

M said...

makes me feel better. I just thought I was a dumbshit or else suffering from SUPER early dementia or something. If you're losing it then maybe I'm okay afterall. ;)

Morgan Leigh said...

in response to your comment (ir2yc): no, didn't get the chair. chickened out. :) and then they moved it.

That Chick Over There said...

My IQ was never that high in the first place.

I'm a Mom!..? said...

I'm just hoping it doesn't get worse with each kid or I'll be lucky if I can remember to chew my food.