Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I Admit It, I Cried

So my baby grew up this week. Really, really quite rude of him really. I mean, forget the fact that I grew him in my own belly. And provide him with cute clothes. And gave him my full lips so that should him and Shiloh Jolie-Pitt have children together, their child will be one giant pair of lips in a diaper.

Forget all of that. Because apparently, it doesn't matter. It's not enough to convince him to remain my baby and not break my heart.

This week, Little Man is transitioning to the next level in daycare. His new class no longer has the word "Todds" in front of it. He's in a "Two's" class now. Which I'm pretty much stands for Two's much to bear.

And I was fine with it. Really, I was. I mean, I was worried that Little man would take this transition badly like he did the last time he moved up six months ago. But this time, 9 of his classmates are moving up with him, which should make it a little easier.

So I was ok. That is, until Monday morning, after dropping off Little Man in his class, I walked up to the computer to check him in and the screen showed his name above his new class name. And my heart literally ripped its own arteries out and smacked me on the side of the head. Because that's where it became real. My baby? Will now be a two-year old. A two-year old is not a baby.

And so I ran to my car. Sat in the front seat that sits upon a mountain of Fruity Cheerios, goldfish and animal crackers and I bawled my eyes out. Because it's over. My baby? Is grown up. His own person, who refuses to wear sneakers and sandals for some reason, but will happily wear his winter shoes, chocolate brown suede shoes, with all of his summer outfits, making him look like he's on his way to the gay pride parade. No longer can I coax him into eating broccoli by calling it a cookie. And he's too big to rock to sleep.

For a few minutes, I sat in my Jeep and mourned my baby boy. I'm now the mother of a boy, a real live boy. And in many ways, it's so much better than being the mother of a baby boy. He's funnier, he's sharp as a wit, and he's got strong opinions that would make the most rabid of activists wonder why they can't have Little Man's passion.

On Sunday, Little Man will officially be two years old at 5:39 p.m. CST.

I know he's ready. I guess I'll need to be as well.

Love,

Catwoman.

18 comments:

Kellie said...

How dare Little Man grow up? What's wrong with our children?! Have they no respect for their mothers? Insisting on doing things their way and on getting big. Pfft.

I'm crying with you.

Emma in Canada said...

Too big to rock? Not according to Robert Munsch. (Which really freaks me out.)

And I laughed at winter shoes, because you yourself know that there is no such thing up here.

Julie said...

Aww. The comment about the shoes and looking like he's ready for a gay pride parade cracked me up. Emily has insided on wearing leather sneakers without socks this whole summer - PU do her feet and shoes smell! He's growing up and so are you Mama! : )

CPA Mom said...

Even as I laugh, I cry. You have the amazing ability to do that to me.

Happy 2nd bday Little Man! But how dare you break your mother's heart!

Just wait. Wait until the first day of school....I'll have the tissues ready for you then.

AndreAnna said...

Wow, we must be on the same hormonal cycle this week! I just wrote an eerily similar post.

I have no words of encouragement because I, too, am watching my baby grow up way too fast. And it makes me sad.

AnGlOpHiLe FoOtBaLl FaNaTiC said...

He's still a baby. When you pick him up at school, doesn't he still say, "Mama!!," and light up for the mere sight of you? When he gets a boo boo don't you need to kiss the ouch! away? LM will be your baby boy until he is old enough to tell you to drop him off three blocks from the mall because you are ruining his rep...so at least until he's 7 or 8!

Rachel said...

You'll never be ready. I find it very hard to believe that in 4 months, my baby will be 2.

my minivan is faster than yours said...

Bam Bam's turning two next month and I've been feeling the exact same way! She's not my baby anymore, and unlike you, all baby days are behind me. Yeah and boo, all at the same time.

FYI Bam Bam likes to wear her Crocs with one sock. One sock. Everyday. Of all the things to inherit, why my fasion sense?

Morgan Leigh said...

as i read your post, i laughed and cried at the same time because next month? my son? will be turning two as well. so you? just reminded me that my son will be turning two as well.

:(

SJ said...

I can totally relate to this! My little guys 2nd birthday is TODAY!

How dare he grow up on me! It's bittersweet for sure....

M said...

Isn't this age the strangest of bittersweet goodness?

It will happen again and again over the years when they enter gradeschool, middle and high school, turn into tweens then teens then freaking college bound adults.

It's impossible to imagine.

I, for one, will now cherish the nights Liam wants to cuddle to sleep. Even if he crushes my innards with his hefty hulk. It's not quite rocking to sleep but it's darn close and I'll take that brand of babiness still!

That Chick Over There said...

OMG wait until he's freaking NINE and about to get MARRIED or some crap the next day because he's so damn big.

GAH.

I'm a Mom!..? said...

Oh the nerve of these little ones, growing up before we are ready!

Munchkin will be 2 in October and I'm having a harder time with that than when I turned 30!

random_mommy said...

I miss that boy.

Sam said...

They grow up way too quick and then other days not quick enough. Oh how it tugs at the heart strings.

Happy Birthday Little Man xoxox

alissa said...

Damn you're funny.

And your kid is growing up... really it just means you'd better get your act together and make another! What better excuse is there than the need to rock someone to sleep?

Oh... and been meaning to ask - totally off topic - but where in Canada are you from?

Beccy said...

I can't believe that my 'baby' will be seven this year!

I hope the lunch date was a success and birthday greeting to Little Man.

jesse said...

Oh your story just made me think that my Monkey is going to be 2 in Dec and I don't know if I can handle that. I feel your pain.