Friday, June 15, 2007

How to Impress a Toddler

We're having dinner last night, when Little Man suddenly starts twirling his hands in front of his chest and sings "round and round." I don't believe I've ever sung Wheels on the Bus to Little Man, since most of the songs I sing to him have titles like "U and Your Hand" or "Party Like a Rock Star" or even "Umbrella." Because you can never be too young to learn lyrics like "Umbrella, ella, ella, eh, eh, eh. Under my umbrella, ella, ella, eh, eh."

But my brain does remember the lyrics of Wheels on the Bus and so I begin a rousing (and off-key) version of the song. As I got to the end of the first line, Little Man's eyes widened like he was thinking "HOLY SHIT! Woman can sing the song!"

The shock dissipated long enough to join me through the different verses. And so the wipers went swish, swish, swish, the people went up and down, the babies went wah, wah, wah (which is ironic, because my baby's all about going wah, wah, wah whenever the universe offends him). And then I ended the song, only to have Little Man remind me that the horn goes beep, beep, beep. Which I admit, I'd forgotten.

This morning I dropped off Little Man at daycare and as I walked away, I knew that he gathered all of his buddies and told them "Dudes, you totally won't believe this, but I fucking taught the adults our song in under five seconds. I'm totally not shitting you! I think they might be brilliant!"

I can't wait to tell him that I also know Itsy Bitsy Spider. I think he might totally poop himself.

Which in his case, would really not be a bad thing, if you know what I mean...

Love,

Catwoman.

9 comments:

jesse said...

LOL!-You know I always wondered what our kids say to there friends about us. You know like Chunky Monkey he can't really talk he only babbles, but what exactly is he babbling.

Emma in Canada said...

I'd love some footage of little man saying fucking. It would make my day.

Kellie said...

Second time now in a week you've gotten "Umbrella" jammed into my brain!!

Holly said...

At least you can do Itsy Bitsy. My tyke's become a severe arachnophobe and will go into convulsions of "dark, spooky, spider..." if I utter a syllable! Glad to hear you've still got some mojo!

Julie said...

I hate that damn wheels on the bus song. Around here people sing that the mommies on the bus say "shhh, shhh, shhh" and the daddies say "i love you I love you". Why do the mommies have to be the bad guys!

Ok, so I don't really HATE the song but I refuse to sing it that way!

Slick said...

Ugh...my son, who is 12 years old now, thankfully....had me singing that song over and over an ov...well, you get the idea.

I'm still burned out on it.

Look at it this way, you're probably the coolest Mom now of all the kids in that daycare!

beebop said...

Ella ella ella EH EH EH...
Glad to know that Im not the only one rocking E to sleep to a little rihanna...

Elle said...

LOL my kids made me sing "patta cakes" forever. To this day, can't stand the song.

Rachel said...

Teehee, I hate that song! But, I love Your Hand, lol.