Wednesday, March 07, 2007

My Favorite Look

There are so many looks that Little Man gives me that I love. There's his look of awe, like the first time he saw his Tickle-Me-Elmo TMX. His look of mischief, the one I get right before he dumps out his bowl of green beans on the dog's head or turns off the television the second Ryan Seacrest is about to announce who's been voted off. There's the look of love he gives me when I pick him up at daycare.

But my favorite look of all, is the sheer look of joy he gets when he accomplishes something momentous.

Like yesterday, when we met my sister-in-law at Chik-Fil-A. Little Man finished his meal and would not sit still. Which is unusual for him. But he was climbing on the table, climbing on the booth, climbing on me, freaking kid had energy to burn. So we moved the party to the kid's play area. And there my munchkin went with a five-year old boy, up the steps to the tunnel system, the same tunnel system that I rescued him from a month ago in very high-heeled shoes. But this time, he's 18 months. And despite the clumsiness gene, I know he could handle they gym no problem. And he stopped at the top step, smashed his face against the netting and laughed his hiney off at us. He was so high! And we were so low! And it was really, really funny apparently.

And then we heard the unmistakable sound of a "wheeeeeeeee!" and out came my Little Man, on his tummy, feet first, down the slide. He stopped at the bottom pumped his arms up in the air and just let out this shout of glee and his whole face scrunched up like he was the first man to walk on Mars.

It was freaking brilliant and amazing. And for the past 15 hours, I've been replaying that scene in my head over and over again. Experiencing his joy and watching him conquer the world, one play area at a time is just about the greatest thing that's ever happened to me.

I don't think before yesterday I could have remembered the last time I felt that proud to have accomplished something, the way Little Man did last night.

But now, I have the same feeling of pride and want to pump my arms in the air and make shrill noises. Because I've accomplished creating a human being who can not only bravely go up a 10-foot high play area, but can feel the kind of joy most of us can only dream of.

When I wanted kids, I never knew in a million years that I would get so much more out of it than they would.

I am so happy I'm a woman.

Love,

Catwoman.

3 comments:

Emma in Canada said...

Play parks..they turn a boy into a man. Well, before some slaggy girl does.

Beccy said...

I'm laughing at Emma's comment!

I love that feeling you get when your child achieves something.

Kellie said...

Sounds awesome....I get the same feeling when my daughter reaches a new goal :)