Friday, March 09, 2007

All About Teaching Him the Important Things

I always knew that when I'd have kids, I wouldn't really be all about teaching them things like the dictionary front and back or the fact that red and yellow mixed together is orange.

I figure those are the things kids figure out on their own.

My focus when I spend time with Little Man is teaching him important things, like novelty rap songs for example.

And this morning, him and I were bopping our heads to a song by a group I can't even name, who'll probably be non-existent within two years. But the song uses pieces of a Supertramp song ("Take a look at my girlfriend, she's the only one I've got"), which is still one of my favorite groups of all times, because my parents owned the record in the early 70's and hearing that song always reminds me of the days of shag carpeting and of innocence so deep, I didn't even know I had a virginity to give away.

As Little Man and I clapped along to the song like the white people we are, the song ended and we looked at each other and laughed. And that's when I realized that in the 18 months he's been on Earth, I've never taught him something very important, forever added into our culture by Will Ferrell's Talladega Nights. I'm talking of course, of the "Shake And Bake" fist pounding.

And so I spent the rest of the drive trying to teach Little Man the correct technique for Shaking and Baking.

He's going to be so much freaking cooler than any of those other snot-nosed kids when he goes to kindergarten.

Love,

Catwoman.

5 comments:

M said...

I'm telling you our two could be the coolest pair on the block! White boys rocking out!

I'm glad you're instilling the important things in his little mind. It's the little things that count.

Emma in Canada said...

I've never seen that movie. So over my head.

But Liam he loved it. He's much hipper than his mother.

Kellie said...

Ha!! Another one like me :) I LOVE it....so cute!!

MartiniGal said...

LOL.. How funny... I just learned from Koree that it is now called the "potato" by all the hip cool kids.

susan said...

You'll have to show me the shaking and baking move, because I've ssen the movie but don't remember! No, there was no weed involved.
I do know the name of the group and song you referenced - song - cupid's chokehold, group - gym class heroes.