Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Hearts Day, Or As I Call It, The Day Men Can't Do Anything Right

Yes, it's Valentine's Day, the day that makes women who are single think that their lives suck and they should put out for the next loser and make women who are dating and married feel like they are with Mr. Wrong because he hasn't whisked them off on a romantic trip to Paris or booked a table at the best restaurant in town.

It's the day where cars are parked on the side of the highway at 3 p.m. and desperate men scramble to spend 10 dollars on wilted flowers that are sitting in some illegal immigrant's trunk.

And Hallmark makes gazillions of dollars from cards that aren't really clever and tell the receiver some cheeseball slightly dirty comment that's supposed to make them feel loved. Or has Snoopy on the front.

I don't think I've ever really had a fantastically great Valentine's Day. The same way that I've never had a fantastically great New Year's Day. There's just too much pressure. It's not possible. It's like telling my dog that he needs to spend one day not licking his butt. It just can't be done.

I remember being a kid and dreading Valentine's day. Because I was never the pretty girl or the popular girl and so I'd always get a few Valentine's day cards, but I'd envy the pretty popular girl who needed a couple of assistants to read all of the cards for her.

And then there was the time in 10th grade, where a bunch of boys sent me a fake Valentine's Day card from this poor guy named Robert, that told me how much he loved me. Not realizing it was a fake, I fell in love with Robert because of the poem contained in the card. And proceeded to stalk him, because I was 14 and not popular and I thought that's how it was done.

But now that I'm an adult, I'm over the whole Valentine's Day craziness. I refuse to fall into those traps. I don't expect jewelry, I don't expect an expensive dinner that will make us take out a second mortgage.

I do expect a card. And I do expect some kind of token of love. This year, I specifically said that instead of spending 10 dollars or more on flowers, that I'd rather get that amount on an iTunes gift card so that I may add songs to my iPod. They might even be love song.

The nice grocery store by our house has this complete Valentine's dinner that you just reheat at home. It's stuffed prime rib with asparagus and potatoes and a chocolate mousse cake. For $29.99, we can eat at home as well as at any restaurant.

So we'll put the Little Man to bed, open the bottle of wine I bought at CVS pharmacy (this place cracks me up!!!! There's dry counties left right and center where you can't buy alcohol, but the pharmacies can sell wine!), light some candles, turn on some music and just chill at home.

But then again, shouldn't that be what we do every night?

Love,

Catwoman.

3 comments:

susan said...

oooh. Which grocery store?
I hate Valentine's too, but that dinner sounds good. ;)

Catwoman said...

Right by your house... Market Street!

Beccy said...

Well I've drunk more than a few glasses of pink bubbly and I'm happy, hope the wine, dinner and candles were good, happy valentines day!