Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Compliment Whore

I'm really quite easy to please. Say something nice to me, and I will claim my undying love for you. Cut me down, and I shut down and you will never get me to even breathe in around you, because I don't want to hear you say that my nostrils flare funny when I do it.

This has been my big issue with work, well, ever since I started working. I get kudos or praise and I float on a cloud, grin happily and vow to conquer an army of militant paper pushers for you. But the second you question my judgement or something, tell me I'm not a good enough writer, or tell me I messed up and the world will no longer be able to orbit around the sun because of my PR snafu, and it's all over. Cue the "wuh wuh wuh..." sound effect.

And this week has been really good. I'm in love with one of the industries I represent. And hey love me, they really love me. I get on the phone with these guys, and it's literally like I'm having an affair with these people, cheating on Sweetie Pie with a whole army of men, because I'm so in love with them. They tell me that my writing makes their world a better place to live. And my ideas make them swoon. My successes light their world. And I grin, like a schoolgirl. Even if all of our meetings are by phone, I reapply my lipstick before I speak to them, because I know that my ideas will sound even better if my lips are plumped with pink goodness.

Forget the war. Forget global warming. My piece of the world is warm, toasty and filled with love, sunshine and smiles.

Love,

Catwoman.

1 comment:

Julie said...

It must be so nice to be appreciated at work - you should celebrate it!