Friday, December 01, 2006

They Call Me Mellow Yellow

This is week three of me working out of the home. This week has seen me actually do real work and dive in to the pool while praying that I know how to swim, rather than just sat there learning, reading page after page of some foreign language to me that this place considers to be English.

And this week has been the turning point for me. This week, I've learned that I am no longer the person I used to be.

And I couldn't be happier about it. A number of things have happened to me during the past couple of years that could have led to this momentous change. I got fired for having a crapy personality (or so the crazy bitches I worked with thought, 99 percent of the population would probably side with me and state that they were the problem.) And most importantly, I've had a baby. And having this baby has taught me that work is such a small part of life. That at the end of the day, as long as I can make my baby giggle when I blow raspberries in his neck, everything else doesn't matter.

Just this week alone, there have probably been three or four incidents that would have make me climb the walls and spew venom in my previous life. But now, I just smile, shrug my shoulders and I'm actually ok with it.

When a coworker told me that someone else would probably take credit for one of my successes this week, I told her that it didn't matter to me. And the cool thing is, I meant it. Because it didn't matter. I'm confident in my abilities and the people who matter know what I do. If someone wants to steal just a little of my thunder, let them have it. They're probably a lot more desparate than I am. Plus, they'll never have a baby as cute as mine, so if some insignificant thing at work is what they need to feel good about themselves, well, I'm still way, way ahead of the race.

When someone went over my head to be part of something that I specifically told them they couldn't attend, I actually guffawed in my cube. And I meant the guffaw, every single note of it. Because once again, obviously this person has nothing going for them in their life that this tiny insignificant event at work is all they have to live for. I, on the other hand, get to wipe diarrhea from the cracks of a baby's nut sack. And that makes me happier than any of this crap.

In my previous life, little irritating things like this would get to me. There would be tears. There would be much bitching to Sweetie Pie who would respond to me time and time again "why do you let it get to you? It's only work!!!!"

Easy to say for a robot-man whose range of emotion only includes normal and asleep.

But now, I guess I'm officially a grown up, because when my coworkers come into my cube to gossip and bitch, all I can do is smile and nod at them and think "it's really no big deal! It's only work."

I just may avoid that massive stress-related heart attack after all...

Love,

Catwoman.

3 comments:

susan said...

Who would have thought the crazy baby who cost you so many hours of sleep is now a stress reducer!? Katie definitely makes me happy, though I don't think I can say the same thing about wiping poop from her lady bits and ass crack (and butt and legs and back....the girl can poo.).

random_mommy said...

your post made me want a mello yello...

glad to hear that the work-catwoman is in sync with mommy-catwoman!

jempress said...

it's already been 3 weeks?! i hope i've grown as much as you when i start "work" in a couple months. which reminds me... i need to start looking for a place to work. yeah, that would be good.