Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Dashing Through the Rain...

I always hate this week. This is the week where Christmas is so close yet so far away. This is the week where Sweetie Pie finally has my gifts under the tree, and all I want to do is open them. This is the week where Christmas comes after an impossibly long wait and then it's all over and there's nothing to look forward to, except for vacuuming up the 10,000 tree needles that are now permanently embedded into our carpet.

And since we're going to Canada for a week, and no one will water the tree while we're gone, we'll come home to a dead Christmas tree, a way-too-obvious analogy for the season. And then I'll have to remove each one of the ornaments from those dead branches and pack them up so they can sit in the attic, unloved for a year.

But right now, I just want it to be Christmas day! And watch Little Man's face light up as he rips the paper from his presents and sees his Hummer and his basketball hoop and all of the other toys that I bought him forever ago and don't even remember...

The funny thing is, he'll get to play with his new toys for about two hours, and then he'll be whisked off to his aunt's house, where he'll open more toys, get to play with those for half an hour and then be forced to take a nap. Then when he finally wakes up, he'll get to spend a few more hours playing before bedtime and then the next day, it's off to Canada for a week, so by the time we come back, he probably won't even remember half of his new stuff...

Today it is pouring here. This makes the whole town have that depressing January feel. I don't want to be one of those people who looks at happy events by thinking of how sad they'll be when it's over. But apparently, as I sit here in my blue cubicle today, I am one of those people.

Love,

Catwoman.

3 comments:

Emma in Canada said...

I want this week to take its time because I am not ready yet. I hate the week after Christmas. Christmas is over which makes me sad and I'm not a New Years fan so I don't even have that to look forward to.

susan said...

I'd offer to water your tree, but we'll be out of town too. I'm very afraid to fly with the Katie Monster. She is big into flailing and screaming right now. eek. hold me.

Catwoman said...

Ah yes... Flailing and screaming... We got that memo too... It's especially a popular tactic when I'm trying to strap said flailer and screamer into his car seat. Amazing how strong a 15-month old's back can be.

I have one word for you: oreo cookies.

Ok, that's two words. But if you say it very quickly, it's one long word.