Monday, August 30, 2004

Why Can't Every Day Be Our Anniversary?

I have to say that I really liked our anniversary. Weeks ago, we'd decided to go to Eddie Merlot's, a fancy steakhouse up here for dinner, but of course we changed our minds when I lost my job.

Instead, we decided to have a nice dinner here and hope that I didn't screw up anything. And I have to say, it was the best meal I have ever made ever. I'm not exagerating. Nothing was overcooked. Nothing was undercooked. The wine pairings were unbelievable (for two people who don't know anything about wine really) and we had such a nice time that it was perfect.

Here was the menu:

Bacon-hugged shrimp with a hint of barbecue sauce (see how I made it sound fancier there?)
Accompanied by a French Rose

Filet Mignon in a Merlot Sauce (my ultimate favorite recipe. It costs a lot of money to make, but less for two people to eat it at home than it would for one person to eat it out)
Scalloped Potatoes (and these were sooooooo good, creamy, perfectly cooked, bubbling. They were some of the best I'd ever had. I complimented them on their beauty until they were all gone!)
Accompanied by Rosemount Merlot

We were supposed to have fresh baked bread to go with it, but I forgot to put the bread in the oven, so Sweetie Pie said not to worry about it and that we should have plain old white Kroger bread. And we did. I was sweating so much by then anyway from cooking up a storm in a hot kitchen, that I was fine with bypassing the fancy (a.k.a. Pillsbury) bread.

For dessert, we were supposed to have my very fancy

Molten Chocolate Dessert with Haagen-Dasz French Vanilla Ice Cream
Accompanied by $3.99 Strawberry Champagne (Sweetie Pie's not a big champagne guy, so I figure why waste $11.99 on Korbel?)

But we were so full, that we both decided it would be wise to just bypass the dessert and drink some more. Being that we don't drink very much anymore, we were both very tipsy and happy.

Sweetie Pie gave me my gift during dinner and it was the ring that I wanted from Zales. I really wanted one of those right-hand rings and saw one that I loved there. I was going to place the link here, but the fine folks at Zales' Web site is down. Go figure! So I guess you'll all have to wait to see my new jewelry. Anyway, I teasingly called Sweetie Pie on buying it this morning. And he said that he was expecting me to be at the post office (remember the UPS guy not showing up on Friday night? GRRRRRRR) and that he had to wait until Friday afternoon to find out how much he was being paid to see if he could afford to buy it for me.

So he was redeemed! Of course!

I don't know if I mentioned this, but I got Sweetie Pie a gas grill, which of course he spent all Sunday morning putting together and then called me outside three times to show me how it lit up.

Well, apparently there isn't too much humor in anniversaries, because this post ain't that funny.

Love,

Catwoman

No comments: