Wednesday, August 11, 2004

The Joy of Business Trips...

While most people dread going on business trips and having to leave the comfort of home, I'm beginning to love them more and more! I'm leaving for Houston again this afternoon and returning tomorrow night, so don't be surprised if this blog is not updated until Friday.

While I miss Sweetie Pie while I'm gone on these trips, I also get to miss the knot in my stomach and the constant nitpicking of this place.

So really, it makes me very happy to get out of town. Of course, this trip is only for a day, so that means that I only get a respite of 24 hours.

But hey, it's better than nothing!

It's funny, I still remember being 22 years old and going on my first business trip. It was to Atlanta and I thought I was hot stuff! Here I was, with a ticket in hand, paid by my company to go to somewhere I'd never been before.

The importance I felt on that trip is something I will never forget. And then subsequent trips at 22 were welcome as well, because it meant it ws three days or week where I didn't have to feed myself. Instead, the company would feed me for free! And we'd always go to the best restaurants in town, where I often ordered the lobster or the filet mignon, because it was such an opportunity to escape my daily broke young person meal of pasta and spaghetti sauce. Being fed for a few days a month usually meant that I might have a couple of dollars left over at the end of the month, and not make my usual three mile walk to the nearest ATM that handed $5 bills instead of the $20 I didn't have.

But I loved those simpler days. I'd shop on my credit cards with no thought as t how I would pay off those debts. I charged dinners and beers in pubs. I was living the high single life.

Then I moved here, and leaving for a business trip meant more than living the pets behind. And all of a sudden, room service by myself in my room wasn't as fun as it used to be.

But now, I can thank this horrible place known as my job for helping me find the special feeling that comes with going on a business trip.

And as nice as that may be, I still think that the joy of going to a job that I enjoy five days a week just might be a better feeling.

But then again, it may just be me thinking the grass is greener on the other side.

Love,

Catwoman

No comments: